Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 14th, 2017 09:00

SSD Diagnostics Warning

Wanted to make sure I described the situation correctly.

I have Windows installed on a single Hard Drive computer with RAID selected (don't ask me why that's how I received it)

I have a Kingston SSD. 

ePSA passes.

Dell Diagnostics Long Test gives a "S.M.A.R.T. Wear Level use warning" on the SSD

Kingston's diagnostics software reports no errors on both short and extended S.M.A.R.T tests.

I don't see anything wrong with the laptop, except I have now started imagining sometimes Windows is slow to boot up. Otherwise laptop runs great.

So how can I reliably discover if my SSD is dying or not given two conflicting reports? Should I trust Dell's Diagnostics over the manufacturer (Kingston)?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 14th, 2017 10:00

Does the Kingston test note anything about "wear" or how much life is remaining?

I have Samsung and Intel SSD's.  Their diagnostic programs also include the health of the SSD and the Intel even includes how much life is left.

With a single boot drive, you should change the BIOS to "AHCI" (default BIOS setting for most PC's).  This may have an affect on the boot time.

15 Posts

September 14th, 2017 15:00

Yeah, the install is also using Legacy which I need to change to UEFI.

Can you be specific on what parameters of the test I should look for when using Kingston Tool? It simply says "Good" right now and does provide a report which is unfortunately in latin. So help to know specifically what words to focus on. The word "wear" i don't see.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 15th, 2017 06:00

I don't have a Kingston SSD or their diagnostic.  But, it wouldn't do me any good as it wouldn't run with Samsung or Intel SSD's.  Maybe you can find a language conversion that will tell you what the "latin" is saying.

15 Posts

September 15th, 2017 10:00

Hey I thought I was the only one allowed to crack jokes :-)

So I first converted RAID to AHCI, and then also used WinPE which has mbr2gpt tool to convert from BIOS to UEFI.

That Kingston tool is actually from Seagate (who knew?!?!). For now I will wait and watch.

Thanks.

No Events found!