Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

JV

July 7th, 2013 09:00

SSD Drive support for Dell XPS 15 L502X

Hi friends,

My name is Jitendra and I live in Bangalore, India. I'm using Dell XPS L502X laptop from last 2 years and I'm very happy with it. You can see configurtion of my laptop here http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2856376

My laptop HDD is showing bad sectors so I decided to buy a new HDD and I thought it would be good to add a new SSD to my laptop. I have three questions.

1. Does my laptop support SSD drive or not?
  2. If it supports then which speed Sata 3.0 GBPS or Sata 6.0 GBPS ?
  3. Is it possible to add a new SSD inside my laptop along with my existing HDD? If it's possible to use both then I would only buy 60GB SSD otherwise bigger than that
  4. Is any SSD can be fit inside my Dell Laptop?
  5. I would buy SSD from any of these http://tinyurl.com/lmzzc5g but I don;'t know which would be comptiale for my laptop and which not

Hi ejn63,

Thanks for quick reply.

1. How did you say yes? any link or proof? Want to be ensure before to buy.

2. How did you know that it support 6G? any spec sheet? Did you check my laptop config valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php

3. Ok then I will buy bigger SSD and will replace with my existing HDD

4. OK

5. Thanks for info.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

1.  Yes, as long as it's a 2.5" drive (not mini-PCI mSATA).

2.  SATA 6G.

3.  No.  The system supports only one internal drive.  You CAN mount the existing hard drive in a third-party adapter in place of the DVD drive for storage only (you can't boot the system from the drive mounted this way).  Even a 128G drive is small for long-term use as a Windows boot drive.

4.  A 2.5" SSD will work fine.

When it comes to SSDs, there are tiers of manufacturers - Intel and Samsung are first-tier -- they have solid reputations.  Other manufacturers comprise the second and lower tiers - with varying reputations.  

Seagate has recently released a line of true SSDs that have also been well received.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 7th, 2013 10:00

Chipset is Intel HM67, which is SATA 6G compliant.

www.intel.com/.../mobile-chipset-hm67.html

The rest of what you're looking for you'll find in the service manual

www.dell.com/.../xps-l502x

1 Message

October 3rd, 2013 10:00

Hi Jitendra,

Which SSd did you choose and was the installation of your SSD successful?  I have the same laptop as you and I am having issues with my HDD after two years as well.  

October 21st, 2013 15:00

Hi

I have the same question, please reply.

And also another; if i put the ssd in a caddy and replace it with DVDRW doas it work? if yes, as an mount drive or internal that i can install windows on it?

Tanx in advane.

No Events found!