Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 8th, 2016 19:00

Screen Flickering when using USB C type port

Hello Community,

I've been experiencing constant screen flickers when I used the USB type C port on my XPS 13 (signature edition). 

Situation: I'm trying to display the content of my laptop on my LG HD TV by connecting the TV to an HDMI cable and the HDMI cable to a USB type C adapter, and to my XPS 13. The screen flickers on and off almost instantly. Anyone encounter the same problem?

It's been very frustrating as this is my third XPS. My first 2 had many screen flickering issues in general, and this one I'm currently using only has screen flickering when I attempt to perform features/activities involving the USB Type C port (lightning port).

Any solutions please? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you 

March 13th, 2016 19:00

I just purchased my Dell XPS 13 last week.  The Dell Thunderbolt H15 Docking Station has the same problem.  It will work fine for a few minutes, then the screen will go black and it will come back on in a few seconds.  Dell Customer Services could not figure it out, but they said it was a known issue that they are working on.

So, I bought a Cable Matters USB-C to HDMI adapter along with an Amazon Basics HDMI cable.  This seems to work with a monitor, but not with my Samsung HD TV (I have two, and the problem is the same with both).  The screen again goes black, then resets every 15-20 seconds.

I am not sure what the issue is, but if I find something in my research, I will bring it here.

8 Posts

March 15th, 2016 00:00

Yes, thanks Chuckalnew!

Finally, someone who has the same problem. It's very frustrating and I sure hope it's not a hardware issue.

Please, as you said, post information if you find out a fix to this bug.

Thanks! 

March 19th, 2016 00:00

I got an email from Dell regarding my Thunderbolt H15 saying they will update my drivers on Monday which should fix the problem.  I will see if it fixes the TV issue as well.

5 Posts

March 21st, 2016 05:00

I get the same issue with a usb-c to hdmi adapter. It doesn't seem to like the usb on this adapter either.

5 Posts

August 26th, 2016 13:00

Did the drivers fix the problem?

11 Posts

November 9th, 2016 17:00

I have the same problem and no, the latest problem did not fix the issue. Please dell, try to figure this out. My TV screen flickers when I try to watch videos via USB-C to HDMI, i've tried 3 different adapters and one of them was a dell adapter. I'm trying to watch the xfinity life TV from comcast and my TV flickers on and off

No Events found!