Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 24th, 2009 18:00

Screen flickering problem after Windows 7 upgrade

Since installing my windows 7 upgrade I am experiencing the screen constantly flashing, more when something moves on the screen.  It's like looking at the screen with a flashing strobe light going off.  I went to the Dell download area and downloaded the newest video drivers (I think this may be the problem) for my system..  It worked until I shut my system down and restarted later on.  Now back to the constant screen flash/flicker.  Got any ideas of how to fix this?

3 Posts

December 3rd, 2009 15:00

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem, I upgraded my Dell studio xps with Win 7 (64). I see the flickering when using internet explorer only though. The screen flickers when ever the mouse floats over a hyperlink. I have found one other person on the Microsoft Forums with the same problem. I also tried new drivers, no luck.

I hope someone can help figure this out.

1 Message

December 16th, 2009 12:00

I, too, am having a problem (exactly as described above) with my Dell XPS after I installed Windows 7 (32 bit).  The flickering is only when I use Internet Explorer, and it happens when the mouse hovers over hyperlinks or images.  I have tried the drivers with no luck.  My husband took the computer to his work today, and the tech guy there tried it out.  It worked just fine????!!!???  I don't understand why it's not working at home with my monitor though.  Any suggestions?

3 Posts

December 16th, 2009 19:00

Well, I figured out what my problem was...When I did the "in place" upgrade to windows 7 it kept the flash player from before the upgrade. I was having the flickering on flash enabled web pages. That could explain why the computer "worked" when the tech guy looked at it, he probably just didn't happen to go to a flash enabled page.

So you should try what I did, and uninstall any flash player, and then go to adobe's website and download and reinstall flash for windows 7.

Let me know if this works.

Eric

2 Posts

January 15th, 2010 14:00

This worked for me.  once flash was uninstalled flickering in IE stopped.  the moment I reinstalled from the adobe website, it came right back.  any other suggestions?

3 Posts

January 15th, 2010 15:00

Did you install the flash version specifically mad e for windows 7?

2 Posts

January 16th, 2010 13:00

yes.  specifically selected the version for windows (it was listed for all current versions including 7 and vista, and internet explorer.  i have a desktop as well that i just upgraded and i do not have this issue at all.

1 Message

February 1st, 2010 23:00

After my upgrade a lot of my browser add ons needed to be installed.  I was using the beta build 7100 and never had this problem but once I purchased the key for the ultimate edition the problem showed up.  What fixed it for me was to install latest version of java and reinstall flash.  Problem solved after server reboots.  Gmail and facebook are great sites to reproduce this problem when mousing over hyperlinks.

1 Message

February 5th, 2010 03:00

I've had the same problem.  I think it's something to do with a clash between newer versions of windows and older versions of flash.  I fixed it by downloading the newest version of flash http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/ then after a restart everything was OK

Hope this is of help.

12 Posts

December 29th, 2010 22:00

Is anyone still following these threads or still having this problem on their Studio XPS systems?

I've experienced similar problems, but its web page graphics on my Studio XPS 1640. The more complex the page, the more the images appear to "flicker" or refresh, but only during random usage, like in between boots or logons or switching from AC to battery. I seem to solve the problem sometimes by removing AC power cord if battery is fully charged, then log off and back on.

I've recently seen error messages like "FlashPlayer does not have 64 bit version available" when asked to download the latest from websites.

In March 2010, I found more info from DELL regarding 90w - 130w ac power cord and cpu "throttling" issues and updated BIOS etc. from DELL.

I'm still looking to solve this problem on my Studio XPS 1640 026B purchased OCT 2009 with vista home premium, new reinstall to Win7 64 bit in DEC 2009. It seems to be getting worse as web pages are becoming more complex. 

DEC 2010

"I've had the same problem.  I think it's something to do with a clash between newer versions of windows and older versions of flash.  I fixed it by downloading the newest version of flash http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/ then after a restart everything was OK"

"Since installing my windows 7 upgrade I am experiencing the screen constantly flashing, more when something moves on the screen.  It's like looking at the screen with a flashing strobe light going off.  I went to the Dell download area and downloaded the newest video drivers (I think this may be the problem) for my system..  It worked until I shut my system down and restarted later on.  Now back to the constant screen flash/flicker.  Got any ideas of how to fix this?"

58 Posts

January 22nd, 2011 07:00

Anyone find the solution for this?  I have a Studio XPS 1640 with a fresh install of Win 7 32 bit and the flashing on some webpages is terrible. The problem is Flash Player which I have uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail.  I can disable Flash Player and the problem stops but it is a pain to not use Flash Player.  I have observed the problem stops if I log off/log in Win 7.  It does reappear on the next system boot up.  I have seen numerous references to others having the same problem but I don't see a fix?  Thanks!

1 Message

June 9th, 2012 14:00

I have 64 bit XPS laptop and 64 bit flash. If I run 32 bit explorer it flickers. If I run 64 bit explorer it does not.

No Events found!