Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 9th, 2011 20:00

Service Tag: UNKNOWN

Dell Support Center on my Dell Inspiron Duo shows on "Service Tag: UNKNOWN" and the Express Service Code it shows is not the one on the label on the bottom of the duo and the warranty shows as "expired". 

But when I go to support.dell.com and look up my system it finds the Service Tag just fine and shows the correct warranty expiration date.

How do I get the Dell Support Center software to report the correct Service Tag, Express Service Code and Warranty expiration date?

904 Posts

August 9th, 2011 22:00

Hi,

The Dell Support Center pulls up the information from the BIOS, there are few things we need to check.

1) Was the Motherboard ever replaced ?

2) Check in BIOS (F2), your service tag information should be mentioned.

3) If the one in BIOS is the same as the one mentioned on the sticker under the laptop then uninstall Dell Support Center and download the latest one from www.dellsupportcenter.com

3 Posts

August 15th, 2011 23:00

There was no Service Tag listed in the BIOS, so I set it there.  Now the correct Service Tag and Express Service Code are correctly listed in the Dell Support Center.  However, the Warranty still shows as expired even though it is good for well over a year more.

904 Posts

August 16th, 2011 08:00

The Warranties sometimes takes time to reflect, How old is the system? Where was it purchased from ?

Go to Support.dell.com and on the left hand side click on 'Warranty Status'.

Enter the Service tag and it should give the warranty details associated with the Tag.

If this is the message displayed 'There are no service contracts or warranties associated with the tag' then call up Dell Customer Care to have the warranty rectified.

The Warranty information takes time to reflect on the website, if its a new system most probably the tag has not been activated which after what happened with the Dell Database would take atleast a month to show up.

3 Posts

August 18th, 2011 20:00

>>> The Warranties sometimes takes time to reflect, How old is the system?  

Purchased June 2011.

>>> Where was it purchased from ?  

Costco.

>>> Go to Support.dell.com and on the left hand side click on 'Warranty Status'.

>>> Enter the Service tag and it should give the warranty details associated with the Tag.  

It does list the correct warranty details.

>>> If this is the message displayed 'There are no service contracts or warranties associated with the tag' then call up Dell Customer Care to have the warranty wrectified.

That message is not displayed.

>>> The Warranty information takes time to reflect on the website, if its a new system most probably the tag has not been activated which after what happened with the Dell Database would take atleast a month to show up.

So now that the BIOS is correctly reflecting the proper service tag, I shouldn't expect the Dell Support Center application to update for a month (at least)?

904 Posts

August 19th, 2011 03:00

If the Warranty is being reflected correctly on the website then you dont have to worry about it. Although its strange the Support Center isnt picking it up, make sure both the Tag and the Express Code get reflected on the Support Center. If it still doesnt work, Uninstall the program, restart the system and reinstall the application from www.dellsupportcenter.com

No Events found!