Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 28th, 2017 00:00

Set up 4k HDR External Monitor Output for Dell Precision 7720??

I have a Dell Precision 7720 with Quadro P5000 GPU. I am thinking of getting a 4k HDR external monitor and want to make sure I can set up the P5000 correctly. I've set up the BIOS to have the P5000 control the output ports directly.

In reading Nvidia's site, I'm supposed to be able to access the P5000 color settings from the Nvidia Control Panel, but when I open Control Panel I only get access to 3D settings. Many settings in the full Control Panel are missing from the drop down tree. Do I need to get full Control Panel software somewhere? 

Wayne

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 28th, 2017 05:00

You can try installing drivers directly from NVIDIA, although I don't think that will change anything.  Do you have an external display actually attached when you're checking for color settings?  The "Graphics special mode" does not cause the dGPU to take control of the built-in panel, so if that's the only display active when you're looking in the NVIDIA Control Panel, that might explain why color settings are missing.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 28th, 2017 09:00

Unless the color controls you're referring to are specific to HDR displays, then they should appear with any sort of external monitor.  The other option that might be easier for you would be to temporarily disable Switchable Graphics completely in the BIOS, which will allow the NVIDIA GPU to control even the built-in panel.  That should cause the color options to appear even without another display attached, but I'm not 100% certain on that because sometimes built-in panels are always treated differently.  However, you could of course try it anyway, but if you still don't see color controls, still try any sort of external display.

17 Posts

That did it. The appropriate settings showed up. No HDR I presume Because the monitor doesn’t support that.

17 Posts

Thanks! I have tried downloading the Nvidia drivers. I don’t have a 4K monitor to try, but I might hook up another monitor just to see if it makes a difference.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

Excellent!  Fyi, from what I've read about HDR, if you enable it in Windows, everything that's in SDR (non-HDR) looks a lot darker in order for HDR to be rendered properly, and since the vast majority of applications are still in SDR, that's not a setting you'll want to leave on permanently, and you'll probably want to make sure you run your HDR applications full-screen, otherwise anything else will look wrong.  Good luck!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

Yeah, that would make sense.  A display would communicate its support for HDR via its EDID, so the NVIDIA drivers would know whether or not the settings would apply.

17 Posts

Ok that worked. I get the rest of the settings except for those specific to HDR. I assume that’s because it’s not an HDR monitor. So far so good. VR works great on it by the way. Gets a score of 10.4 on the Steam benchmark.

No Events found!