Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 12th, 2016 21:00

Should a Vostro 1700 turn on with no battery plugged in?

I've got a Vostro 1700 that won't turn.

When I try and turn it on the power led is a dim blue and the battery charge led flashes.

I'm suspicious the battery is cactus. However if I unplug the battery and try and turn it with just the power supply I get nothing at all.

Should it turn on with no battery attached?

Cheers,

Peter

June 13th, 2016 04:00

Hi PROGGERPETE,

Thank you for writing to Dell Community Forum.

Please update the BIOS and the chipset driver to the latest available version from our Dell Support Site.

Boot into the BIOS, with the battery plugged in and check on the status of the battery health meter listed.

Please private message us the service tag of the system along with your email id.

(Note: please don't mention the service tag or email id on the public forum as it contains your personal information).

Regards,
DELL-Akshatha M
Social Media and Community Professional
#IWork4Dell

June 13th, 2016 06:00

Unfortunately I cannot boot into bios. I get nothing on the screen at all. Should I get something with no battery plugged in? I'm trying to work out if it's possible the only fault is with the battery.

June 14th, 2016 02:00

After leaving the laptop plugged in for 24 hrs I can now boot successfully.

This suggests to me that at the very least, the battery is near dead.

I'd still like to know if the laptop should boot with no battery plugged in. If it should then my power supply is likely faulty as well. If not then the power supply is probably fine.

June 14th, 2016 07:00

Hi PROGGERPETE,

Thank you for trying these steps.

Please private message us the service tag of the system along with your email id.

(Note: please don't mention the service tag or email id on the public forum as it contains your personal information).

Regards,
DELL-Akshatha M
Social Media and Community Professional
#IWork4Dell

No Events found!