Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 9th, 2017 16:00

Slowed down - Inspiron 5559 Laptop, i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHZ 2.40GHz, 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

As usual, when new, this laptop ran so well. I did add some necessary programs and have the usual slow down.

I have three questions,

1. Is it the processor that governs the over all speed? I had a 1.6GHz that was incredibly slow. The 2.6 was initially fast and made me happy.
  2. Would it be cost effective to change out the processor? Can I change out the processor?
  3. Is there a program that really will 'clean up' the *** that slows down a pc? I use Glary and/or Ccleaner. All they seem to do is eliminate my shortcuts and automatic signin locations. 

Thanks to all who strive to assist those of us who are frustrated.

May you be blessed in ways you have not yet imagined.  

Pat

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 14th, 2017 07:00

* Restart, press F2 to enter the BIOS
* Open POST Behavior
* Check, "Enable Numlock"
* Exit the BIOS

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 9th, 2017 16:00

1.  Not by itself, no.  In fact, if the system has a conventional hard drive, that's the slowest component in the system.  If the system is running abnormally warm, that too will slow things down markedly.

2.  No.  The CPU is soldered to the mainboard, so a CPU upgrade means you must replace the mainboard - which makes it cost-ineffective.

3.  Again, it depends on the reason for the slowdown.  You may want to start with a thorough run of the Dell diagnostics (F12 at powerup).

5 Posts

February 9th, 2017 17:00

Thank you! I have done the Dell diagnostics but everything was within normal parameters. I am not finding anything abnormal such as noise, heat or anything else.

All the programs promise to "speed up your system." I have one (of several) programs that has 13 seconds between commands which is causing a lot of problems. On a single document, there can be 30+ commands.

Again, thank you for your help, Pat

22 Posts

February 10th, 2017 04:00

What is the size of your RAM?

5 Posts

February 10th, 2017 10:00

Installed RMA - 8.00 GB   (7.89 GB usable) Is this it? I am uncertain.

I really love my Dell but my HP Vista is so much faster. In this case, I am using the very same programs on each but the Vista remains so much faster.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 10th, 2017 13:00

Does the system have McAfee on it?

5 Posts

February 10th, 2017 15:00

Yes, McAfee Security Scan Plus. That came with the machine. I don't know what to use for security.

I previously have used Defender and did not have problems. Is there a suggested/recommended software for this task?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 10th, 2017 18:00

Windows Defender does just fine - and McAfee is a resource hog. Removing it should help performance perceptibly.

5 Posts

February 11th, 2017 10:00

I have felt that for a long time. I will be uninstalling it shortly.

Perhaps I am hi-jacking my own thread, but is there a way to have the NumLock automatically come on when I turn on the laptop? I use my right hand 10-key pad so much and I cannot always tell when it is in the 'ON' position.

Thank you each and everyone so much for the help.

22 Posts

February 13th, 2017 04:00

and what bit operating system are you using?..32bit or 64bit?

No Events found!