Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 9th, 2013 08:00

Sometimes black screen at startup/awaking form sleep

Hi,

I have a concerning problem with my laptop. It's a dell inspiron 17r SE.

Here's my problem:

Sometimes when I boot my laptop my screen stays black. (this also happens sometimes when I wake my laptop up from sleep mode) The lights and fans go on, but there is no windows sound and the screen stays black. After 5-10 restarts it finally works and than I can use my laptop without any problems. I have even run dell diagnostic and my laptop passed on all tests. If the laptop actually boots up, it works like it should do. So I think it's definetly not a problem with the screen or videocard, otherwise it wouldn't work at all. It could be a problem with the bootup sequence.

Can anyone help me with this issue? 

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

November 9th, 2013 09:00

Hi Ace Portgas,

I regret the inconvenience. Updating BIOS and video drivers should resolve the issue.

BIOS: http://dell.to/1hVTXFy

NVIDIA Ge Forcé GT 650M: http://dell.to/1aLe3ko

Note: Restart the system after each update. NVidia driver provided is for Windows 7 Operating system. Let me know if the Operating system is different.

Let me know if this helps.

November 9th, 2013 10:00

How am I suppose to update my BIOS when it requires restart before the install. (something about flashing the BIOS)

When this restart happens I get the same black screen issue and it forces me to hard reset my laptop and than after a few tries I managed to start my laptop again.

I tried to install it 2 times and I've gotten the black screen problem on both tries.

November 10th, 2013 05:00

Any ideas how I can update the BIOS without the restart?

I've already installed the nvidia driver you posted and it did not resolve the problem. I could install this because it requires a restart after installation so even if I get the black screen issue when restarting it will be already installed, so that's how I installed the nvidia driver.

With the BIOS update you need a restart before the installation and every time I tried it I got the black screen problem forcing me to close the laptop. After 5-10 tries I manage to start my laptop, but it just starts normally and I think the BIOS update gets cancelled.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

November 12th, 2013 06:00

Hi Ace Portgas,

Please check if the screen goes blank in safe mode. If it is Windows 7 Operating systems tap F8 at start up to open ‘Advanced Boot options’ and then using arrow keys select Safe mode. Also update only the video driver from the link provided in the earlier post.

Reply with the status.

No Events found!