Highlighted
DanielAAV
1 Copper

Static noise after last big Windows Update!

Hello,

Although I've seen a lot of people reporting static noise from the speakers, I never had a problem with mine until the last big update (Windows 10 - Version 1607). It started right after the update's restart. 

I've ran dell's diagnostic tool; nothing wrong.

The noise is there even when I disable the speakers.

General System Information:

XPS 13 - 9350

BIOS - 1.4.4

OS Build - 14393.51

Windows 10 - Version 1607

Thanks in advance!

20 Replies
Jim Coates
6 Gallium

RE: Static noise after last big Windows Update!

Hello. Have you tried using Windows System Restore, to attempt to undo the changes which caused the noise?

Another generic suggestion is to update or down-date the Realtek audio driver. The latest one was released on July 25, so it could be causing the problem.

A way to test the audio driver is to switch between the Realtek and the Windows native audio driver. If the noise is also present when using the native driver then it's not caused by the Realtek driver, & vice versa.

1. Open the Device Manager (find it in the Control Panel, or type devmgmt.msc into the search box).
2. Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio".
3. Select to "Update Driver Software".
4. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
5. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
6. Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked.
7. In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio" (the native driver).
8. Click "Next".
9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver).
10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, sometimes you have to restart, sometimes not.
[To get back to the Realtek driver, do it again but reverse the names in steps 2 and 7.]

[Note: the above directions don't work with some 2-in-1 models with Win10.]

Jim Coates -- 14 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
vagaerg
1 Nickel

I am experiencing the exact same issue, it only happens on Windows, no issues at all on Ubuntu. So I can confirm this is happening and it is a serious issue since the noise is quite annoying.

My post with complete details:

en.community.dell.com/.../19989160

0 Kudos
vagaerg
1 Nickel

I can confirm that this fix is not working. I have no issues on Linux, but on Windows this happens with either the Dell driver or the default one. Disabling the sound card fixes the problem, so does connecting some headphones (which by the way, do not get static noise either)

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
6 Gallium

this fix

What fix?

0 Kudos
vagaerg
1 Nickel

Sorry, forgot to quote. I mean what you suggested about the Windows native drivers

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
6 Gallium

That was a test that I suggested to find out if the Realtek driver was introducing the noise.

Did your noise issue start right after the latest Windows update?

0 Kudos
vagaerg
1 Nickel

That was a test that I suggested to find out if the Realtek driver was introducing the noise.

Did your noise issue start right after the latest Windows update?

Yes, I understand that, maybe "fix" wasn't the right word on my post Smiley Wink

Yes. It started right after. I will be reinstalling tomorrow and will comment on whether issue is still present

Thanks!

0 Kudos
vagaerg
1 Nickel

After having reinstalled, the issue was still present using the Microsoft default driver. However, as soon as I connected to the Internet, Windows automatically downloaded a "Realtek HD Audio" driver that works perfectly! No more static noise issues.

And it sounds great, so I guess that MaxxAudio is not really needed. However, I'd like to see Dell updating their driver to stop this very irritating issue Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
6 Gallium

reinstalled

It's a shame you had to do that. I have a couple of questions about it.

How did you go about the re installation. Was it a complete reformat and clean install, and what is the version of the Realtek driver that Windows found?

0 Kudos