Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 17th, 2009 08:00

Strange Latitude XT issue

Hello, I am a technician for a large corporation. We have users that utilize Latitude XT tablets. Currently our organization has deployed 350+ Latitude XT Tablets. Our configuration is WinXP SP2, BIOS A06, Solid State 32GB drive, 4GB RAM, MultiTouch update, latest XP drivers (ATI 8.551).

My dilemma is this: many users have the PR12S docking station.  These docking stations are connected via DVI to a Dell 1708FP flat panel LCD. Occasionaly the external LCD will start "bleeding" colors. I describe it that way because it looks to be interference. But it is connected via DVI, so it should not be EMI. I have tried every thinkable driver solution, to no avail. I have tried several BIOS versions (A02,A05,A06), NTRIG Multitouch firmware upgrade, ATI drivers (from their website) -- which mess up the tablet lid closing functions, but I tried it just to see if this problem went away, which it did not. The video driver versions I have tried were the original, 8.491 and 8.551. The problem is still occurring.

I don't know what to tell our users. I need some serious help from someone.

Thanks!

Curtis

1 Message

February 17th, 2009 10:00

Curtis,

Not sure if I can help at all, but- I did notice that you mentioned trying the VGA port out of the Docking station.  If you have tried this, does it also "bleed"?  I noticed that there is a new BIOS v-A07 posted recently.  It does not list any fixes related to the video on it, but in the absence of anything else...

Have you been able to replicate the problem in your lab? 

Since it is "Occaisonal" that makes it doubly hard to trouble shoot. 

Once it starts does it continue until you reboot, or something other step that stops it? 

Is it only XTs that are connected to the dock or have all of them exhibited this issue? 

Is the cable one you got from Dell or a third party? 

I am not familiar with the 1708 monitor, how old are they?

Have you tried a different brand to see if that helps isolate the issue?

I am running Vista Enterprise on my XT, as are my coworkers and have not heard of this issue, which does not mean anything of course.  Also, using the VGA port so there are some significant differences between our setups.  My only other suggestion is to request escalation through Dell support to get to the next level, and contact your Account Executive to make sure that they are escalating to their management as well.

Sorry I could not be of more value, good luck!

BGilbert

5 Posts

February 17th, 2009 10:00

Thanks for the reply! I'll try to address each of your questions:

1) The port replicators actually only have DVI and not DSUB, but the DSUB(vga) output on the tablet does not cause this anomoly.

2) Yes, I have replicated this in my lab.  This actually happens with an older Dell LCD monitor as well (1504FP).  It happens after the screen sleeps & is woken back up.

3) Yes, it continues until one of two things happens:  a manual resolution change (to anything) or closing the tablet & opening it -- or if the tablet was already closed, opening it & closing it again.  That automatically changes the resolution & back again, so it has the same effect.  So basically, a resolution change fixes it.

4) This docking station only works with Latitude XTs, it is made specifically for them and nothing else.

5) All Dell cables (we have them coming out our ears ;o)

6) 1708FP LCD monitors are all brand new & we are still purchasing these in droves from Dell without issue on any other setup (which leads me to conclude it is an issue with this docking station or Latitude XT video)

7) Again, the 1504FP exibits the same behavior.  It is a completely different LCD screen, so I believe that rules out an issue with the 1708FP specifically...

I was wondering if this problem is isolated to Windows XP.  These tablets were designed for Vista, so it is quite possible that not too many people have this problem & thus is why I am not finding any google hits or seeing anyone else with this issue.

Thanks again for your help!

Curtis

25 Posts

March 24th, 2009 06:00

Hi,

I have the same problem, but it only occurs occasionally, when I leave the Latitude XT idle for a long time. It must be a problem with the DVI signal getting out of proper sync so that the colors become offset. I have some hotkeys defined in the ATI control panel, so that I can quickly switch to a different display configuration and back, which resolves the problem. But then in your organization that may not be a viable workaround. Having so many, you must have some leverage on Dell to get this recitified, no (I would be thankful, too!)?

Cheers

Gregor

25 Posts

March 24th, 2009 06:00

Hi again,

I forgot to add that I am on Vista 32bit Business.

Cheers

Gregor

1 Message

June 17th, 2009 08:00

Apologies I can't fix but I can confirm you are not alone. I have a Latitude XT Running XP SP2. I have it attached to 2 monitors and the one connected via DVI goes fuzzy after the screen blanks.  Have changed everything (Laptop, Docking Station, DVI Cable, Monitor).

Will set up the Catalyst hotkey as a good idea.

Cheers

Iain

No Events found!