Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 1st, 2017 03:00

Stuck at bios screen

My dell Inspiron 3542 with i3 4005u got stuck at bios screen before that it was running very fine. Please someone suggest me a answer to solve the problem.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 1st, 2017 05:00

Basic troubleshooting:

Unplug the system, remove or disconnect the battery and hold the power button for 30 sec.

Remove and reinstall the memory modules and drive.

Plug the adapter into the wall but not the system - is the LED on it illuminated, or off?  If it's off, replace the adapter with a new one.

If the adapter is OK, try powering up the system on AC only.  If it will, but won't with the battery installed, the battery is faulty.  

If it still won't power up and POST, the mainboard is bad.

5 Posts

July 1st, 2017 09:00

Battery and ac adapter is ok and ram and motherboard is also working because it turns on but stuck on bios screen with empty progress bar.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 1st, 2017 10:00

That means some component has failed - the system would otherwise complete the power on self test.  See if disconnecting the drive lets the system post to a BIOS screen (F2 at setup).  if it does, the drive is bad. If it doesn't, the mainboard is bad.

If this is an out of warranty system with a bad mainboard, you're likely to find a repair costs as much or more than the system did initially - it's better off replaced than repaired.

No Events found!