Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 30th, 2010 20:00

Studio 1458 will not power on

Hello,

I have a Studio 1458 that I got about a month ago.  Last night and I left it on, and this morning I woke up to the sound of it continually powering off and on.  Here are the symptoms:

White power light on the side flashes momentarily and goes off.
System makes normal sound it makes when being turned on (sounds like the optical drive)
System immediately turns off, doesn't POST.
Repeat.  With the AC Adapter it repeats indefinitely, without the AC Adapter it goes for maybe 4-5 repetions and stops, each repetion taking 3-4 seconds.

I tried removing and reseating the battery, as well as the hard drive and memory to no success.  The AC adapter looks fine and the blue LED is on, but I have nothing else that takes the same plug size, so I can't test further to find out if there is internal damage.  Additionally, very rarely the backlit keyboard will flash along with the power button, but only when the AC Adapter is plugged in.

In the past the laptop has also come out of hibernation on it's own in the middle of the night.  I am not sure if this is at all related.

I'm guessing it's either the AC adapter (and the battery being drained from being left on all night with a bad adapter), or something on the system board or with the internal power connector.  

Does anyone have any insight or ideas before I send it in for repairs?

539 Posts

August 31st, 2010 06:00

Reseat, swap, replace RAM memory. Of nothing, remove all memory to see if you get the POST code "no memory installed". (keyboard lights)

If that doens't result in a POST code, the POST microcontroller can't run indicating a hardware problem in pheripherals or motherboad.

Strip the system clean from all devices (harddisk, CD/DVD. network card, battery, keyboard etc) and do the no memory test again.

If it persists the motherboard might have a hardware issue.

Cheers!

2 Posts

August 31st, 2010 16:00

Reseat, swap, replace RAM memory. Of nothing, remove all memory to see if you get the POST code "no memory installed". (keyboard lights)

If that doens't result in a POST code, the POST microcontroller can't run indicating a hardware problem in pheripherals or motherboad.

Strip the system clean from all devices (harddisk, CD/DVD. network card, battery, keyboard etc) and do the no memory test again.

If it persists the motherboard might have a hardware issue.

Cheers!

And this was the answer.  One of the DIMMs had gone bad and my mistake was taking both out instead of trying one at a time.  Popping that out led to much POSTing and loading of OS.  Thanks a ton!

No Events found!