hannah2304
1 Copper

Re: Studio 15 sound is DREADFUL

Contacted dell about poor sound on my studio 15, ie:- maximum sound returned very little output & what sound came out was distorted  & tinny ( literally sounds like the sound is coming from a couple of battered tin cans) reply was to reinstall the sound drivers (with the instructions given) did as instructed & yes obtained a louder version of the tinny sound.

Replied to dell with the outcome only to be told “I would like to inform you that the speakers which are in the laptop are very small and are not meant for very high quality sound. I would request you to please connect external speakers or headphones and check the sound quality".

Being of reasonable mind and sound! Do I really have to use external devises?, if I had a hearing defect I WOULD SEEK TREATMENT,  I have a 4 year old inspiron that puts the sound of studio way back in the early mono sound.

My conclusion is the problem lies with an inherent dell studio production fault, soon to be put right on the quiet 

Not giving up on this issue with dell, have been a loyal customer: 2 laptops, 2 all in one printers, ink supplies and one desktop system, feel extremely let down on this issue.

SURLEY VERY SMALL SPEAKERS DO NOT EQUALL VERY SMALL INFERIOR SPEAKERS

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Kevinmwest
1 Copper

I Tried this on my new Studio 17 and eventually resolved the problem by going into Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Manage Audio Devices - Level tab and adjusting PC speaker volume to 100%.  Now I have loud sound.  My Father-inlaw also had a new Dell inspiron and it was set the same.  It looks like by default that the PC master volume is set to low.

Hope this helps other who are having the same problem. 

0 Kudos
BruceVi
1 Nickel

Along time ago before the forum got upgraded I did a long post about this.

~There is not a lot wrong with the audio amplifier quality on the studio 15 - as judged by the frequency response of the output at the headphone/speaker jack plug

~there has been a problem with a crackling audio interference when audio and WiFi are both in use.  New Driver, new BIOS and various other things help a bit here

~The internal speakers are ridiculous for movie player use  - they are about 20mm in diameter.  It is astounding that they sound as good as they do given this size, but volume and bass reproduction were clearly both abandoned at design stage to fit the illuminated media keys in.

If you turn up the volume and the bass to the maximum possible you are likely to find out what Dell charges for a new speaker before too long 😉

0 Kudos
BlazerFan
1 Copper

There is an easy fix to enhancing your laptop speakers. You have to uninstall dell's audio driver, and make sure you tick the box that will prevent it from reinstalling itself, and then restart your computer. Then Vista should automatically install it's own audio drivers and the sound is 100 times better. 

MinerQuad
1 Copper

Can you explain how to uninstall dell's audio driver and where one should tick the box that will prevent it from reinstalling itself?  Thanks for your help!

BlazerFan
1 Copper

Control Panel > click Hardware and Sound > device manager> idt driver > properties > driver tab > uninstall driver then tick the box marked "delete driver software for this device" then restart your computer, then the Vista audio drivers will install themselves when the computer boots up.

muraterdem
1 Copper

I did not see a major difference by uninstalling the Dell drivers and replacing with Windows. I have used HP for a long time and decided to buy DELL with a friend's advice (she has xps) unfortunately, I am very disappointed and upset having such a laptop with very poor speakers. It is ironic as well as oxymoron with the brand labelled as STUDIO with such poor speakers.

0 Kudos
cpuchick17
1 Copper

Perfect!!! That was the only flaw with my 1535 (knock on wood) and now they sound great!!:emotion-1:

0 Kudos
Abegela
1 Copper

There is an easy fix to enhancing your laptop speakers. You have to uninstall dell's audio driver, and make sure you tick the box that will prevent it from reinstalling itself, and then restart your computer. Then Vista should automatically install it's own audio drivers and the sound is 100 times better. 

This totally works!!!!!!! Thank you so much for the fix!  It doesn't make the sound great but it will do; it's enough that I'll keep it versus sending it back.  You wouldn't happen to know how to add some bass to the sound would you?  I can't find an adjustment other than the bass enhancer (which helps a little).

0 Kudos
bzoom
1 Copper

Awesome!  Thank you for your posts.  This totally solved the bad sound problem.    The sound is now much louder and has better quality.  People are too quick to condemn the speakers and the model studio 15 in general without taking these steps.

0 Kudos