Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 18th, 2009 08:00

Studio 1535 to Windows 7...?

Hey, I'm pretty sure others will be interested in this too so I thought I'd ask here.

I bought the 1535 last year with Vista Home Premium 32-bit. I will be getting Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Here are my questions:

1. Where would I find the correct drivers? Should I just use the Vista 64 drivers for Studio 1535?

2. If I had to format my HDD for some reason, would I be able to re-install Windows 7 with Upgrade media? I've read that the installation will ask for my Vista install disc - will the one that Dell supplied work for this?

Thanks in advance.

41 Posts

December 8th, 2009 15:00

How much RAM do you have?  Also wondering why you decided to go 64-bits...

Thanks for the Bluetooth update. 

12 Posts

December 8th, 2009 16:00

3GB. Just thought I might as well give it a go if I'm clean installing anyway (I always clean install...removes all the build up of trash lol). Things seems to be working well so far. And programs that do run as 64 bit, such as Photoshop, seem much faster. It is a bit of hassle in some ways - for example, there's no 64 bit Flash support yet, so you're forced to use 32 bit Firefox and Internet Explorer (with the later, both 64 and 32 bit are installed to start with). If things suddenly go haywire I'll just switch back to 32 bit.

3 Posts

December 21st, 2009 05:00

I don't remember if my 1535 model has a bluetooth adapter on.Did you installed the rest of the vista drivers although windows 7 found them ? I mean your devices may work fine,but do you get the 100% of them if they don't have the origin driver?  Also, i have problems with Firefox,it crashes more often now,i don't know why,but i 'm a bit dissapointed so far.

12 Posts

I'm pretty sure all 1535s came with bluetooth...unless it's different by region etc (I'm in the UK?).

It might also be webcam by the way...that didn't install properly for me, so used the Vista ones and now it's fine.

I didn't bother installing the rest of the Vista drivers...everything else works fine (including graphics card). I didn't want to risk messing anything up.

If you think you're having problems after installing something...use System Restore. I had to, to remove all traces of the stupid fingerprint software. It works very very well.

12 Posts

Most likely they are the infra red and bluetooth devices. Just find the Vista drivers for those and install them.

I reverted to 32 bit Windows 7, after finding 64 bit quite unstable (Explorer crashed a lot).

However, for some reason the latest DigitalPersona doesn't work (can't detect the fingerprint scanner, even though older versions can). This is pretty useless as older versions don't support Firefox.

Everything else is working great however.

3 Posts

Hey! I also have a 1535 studio laptop and yesterday i installed the windows 7 pro edition.Although everything seems to work fine,the device manager indicates that 2 base system device drivers aren't installed.I can't figure out which drivers are missing.Does anyone else has the same problem? Also is it more appropriate to install the vista 32bit drivers,although the laptop components work fine? The only thing that's missing is the volume bar when i press the volume button.

Thanks in advance!

4.6K Posts

December 21st, 2009 06:00

the device manager indicates that 2 base system device drivers aren't installed.I can't figure out which drivers are missing.

I don't know why Microsoft chose such a nondescript - erm... description, but a 'base system device' is usually the media card reader :emotion-5:

1 Message

December 21st, 2009 08:00

I bought a 1535 with Vista Home Premium 64-bit last year, and just upgraded to 7 professional 64-bit.  Most things worked fine, but I had to install a Vista driver to get the card reader to work, and I still haven't figured out how to make the keyboard and touch pad work normally (they work if you operate them extremely slowly).  USB devices work fine.  Windows 7 says everything is working fine.  

3 Posts

December 21st, 2009 08:00

When you say media card reader, you don't mean the usual memory card reader ,because my laptop doesn't have one. Also today i had a bsod(blue screen of death),and I ran the bluescreenview,which gave the following results:
Bug check screen: bad pool caller
caused by driver: ntfs.sys.

I'm starting considering going back to vista!!!

2 Posts

December 25th, 2009 14:00

I have a Studio 1535 running Win7 x64 Ultimate using Bios A06 and I recently got my Authentec 2810 working again using Digital Persona Personal !!!!

It worked fine on Vista x64 and it worked when I installed the Win7 RC, but when I installed the general release of Win7 (build 7600) it would not function! I was completed stumped. 

using driver version 8.5.0.251  for the Biometric device, I was able to install DP and it works great!

Good luck.

laird

2 Posts

December 25th, 2009 14:00

I have a Dell Studio 1535 running Win7 x64 Ultimate with 4GB RAM and I finally got the fingerprint reader working again.  It worked fine on the Vista x64 OS and worked when I installed the Win7 RC, but when i did a clean install of the final release (build 7600) of Win7 x64.  Dell Bios is A06.  My Studio has the Authentec 2810.  I run Digital Persona and LOVE IT!!!!

Laird

January 28th, 2011 03:00

Hi, I am also interested in installing Windows 7 on my dell studio 1535. Do you find any difficulties while installing on your studio 1535?

12 Posts

January 28th, 2011 03:00

No issues so far - it's been running great for over a year without any need to reinstall Windows!

5 Posts

January 28th, 2011 04:00

No, no problems for me either. Runs perfectly.

2 Posts

January 28th, 2011 06:00

I've been running 7 on my 1535 since MS officially released it.  99.99% of everything works fine.  There were a couple of weird issues early on, but with the increased hardware support available via Windows Update I can't think of anything that doesn't just work.

I do get occasional quirks here and there, for example when my system has been up and running and I attach an HDMI interface to my TV I may or may not get audio, or correct video resolution negotiation, but works 100% when the HDMI is connected prior to starting the notebook.

I can also tell you that IE9 Beta works OK, but the product itself isn't ready for prime time.  Win 7 SP1 Beta also appears to run flawlessly on the unit.

Have fun.  Rush in where angels fear to tread.

No Events found!