Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 21st, 2013 14:00

Studio 1558 - No POST, Will not boot

I have a Dell Studio 1558 that gives me a black screen when powered on.  I thought at first it might be a problem with the video card, but an external monitor connected to the VGA port does detect a signal, and the BIST does cause the screen to cycle colors.  My next thought was the HDD, but I was able to pull the drive and back it up in my desktop PC.

When powered on, I hear the DVD click and the fans come on, but I don't see the Dell logo, and I'm not able to get into the BIOS.  It looks like it's failing during (or before?) POST.  Any suggestions on what else to try?  I'm thinking now it's the system board but I'm not sure quite how else to test that.

Thanks,

- Darryl

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

October 23rd, 2013 18:00

Hi Darryl,

If the computer is under warranty, I would be glad to arrange a service on the computer. Please check warranty status by entering the service tag of the computer in this link: http://dell.to/1akcWsp

Please private message me the service tag, registered owners name and address.

To private message me, click my user name and click Send a Private Message.

In case of expired warranty scenario, we would not be able to extend warranty entitled services.

If the warranty on the computer has expired, below link would help you in contacting expired warranty services (this is for US based customers): http://dell.to/17PHgJD

Awaiting your response!

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

October 21st, 2013 14:00

Hi Darryl,

I would like to know the color and status of the power button light, also check if the system is beeping, count the number of beeps and post them in your next reply. I suggest you to disconnect the battery and external devices connected to the laptop and try to power on the laptop only with the AC-Adapter connected and check.

You may also try to reseat the memory in the system and then check if the system is powering on. If it is not switching on try to switch on the system with only one memory in it at a time.

Please refer this link to reseat the memory: http://bit.ly/XRI614

Please post the results.

October 21st, 2013 16:00

Thanks for the quick reply Nikhil.  The power button is a solid white, and the laptop makes no beeps at all.  No change after removing the battery and all attached devices.

I've reseated the memory, and that too made no difference; still a solid white light, no beeps.  I've tried each DIMM individually and that also made no difference.  Without both DIMMs I get 2 beeps (which I expect as the manual states that's the code for missing RAM).

Anything else I can try?

- Darryl

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

October 22nd, 2013 18:00

Hi Darryl,

Based on the results the problem could be with the Video card of the laptop, as the video card is integrated on the motherboard, please check if there is a possibility for swapping the motherboard at a local tech store and check the functionality of the computer before purchasing it.

October 22nd, 2013 21:00

I bought this machine for work, so I purchased a 4 year warranty. I still have 5 or 6 months left. I was hoping to do some diagnosis before having it serviced, but it looks like that time has come. Can I contact support via chat or email and reference this thread? Is that the best thing to do? Thanks for your help Nikhil

October 23rd, 2013 21:00

Thanks Nikhil.  I've PM'd you the details.

No Events found!