Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 28th, 2012 15:00

Studio 1558 Windows 8 Pro - Eject Key Not Working

Hello, I recently updated my OS to Windows 8 but the Eject key on the keyboard doesn't work. I thought the problem would be solved by installing QuickSet but still the same. All other media keys (change display, wifi, battery, brightness, mute, volume etc) are working perfectly except the eject button. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

3.1K Posts

December 28th, 2012 23:00

Hi Martheo7690,

This happens if 'Quickset' is not installed. Since you've already installed 'Quickset', let's try the following steps and see if it works:

• Right click on the bottom left hand corner of the screen, Choose "File Explorer'
  • Please check if the DVD drive icon appears. If yes, then right click, choose 'Eject'

If the above steps do not work, then check in BIOS:

• Power off the computer
  • Restart the computer, tap ‘F2’ key on the Dell logo
  • This will take you to the BIOS screen, press the 'Eject' key and check if it works

Alternatively, check in Device manager if the optical drive is listed:

• Press and hold the Windows key and press 'R' key. This will open the run window
  • Type 'devmgmt.msc' without the parenthesis, click on 'Ok'
  • This will open the Device Manager window
  • Check if the DVD/CD drive option is available (please share a screenshot)

Note: The 'Dell Product Group' team has not tested this system with Windows 8. So the appropriate drivers may not be available. You can refer to the link for a compatible system tested by Dell with Windows 8 http://dell.to/RnDAFu

Please reply with the findings.

December 29th, 2012 00:00

I checked ejecting from File Explorer and it works properly. Also the optical drive is listed in Device Manager, here is the screenshot: imageshack.us/.../devicemanagera.jpg

3.1K Posts

December 29th, 2012 03:00

Hi Martheo7690,

Thank you for the response. It could be an issue with the 'Eject' key or the 'Quickset' driver. I would recommend you to uninstall and re-install 'Quickset' from the computer. Since the drivers for Windows 8 are not available for this system. You can try to install the driver of Windows 7 in compatibility mode. Here is the link http://dell.to/PvYw8N

• Download the driver from link above
  • Right Click the driver installation file and select Properties -- > Compatibility Tab.
  • Select Windows 7 from the list in the following image

• Click Apply -- > OK
  • Right Click the file and select the 'Run As Administrator' to install the driver

Hope this helps.

December 29th, 2012 07:00

Still nothing. I unistalled Quickset, I reinstalled it with Windows 7 compatibility mode and it's the same. The only think I did notice is that when I press the eject button I see the grey eject icon on bottom right of the screen but no action.

3.1K Posts

January 1st, 2013 03:00

Hi Martheo7690,

Thank you for your response. Since the optical drive was working in Windows 7 and the drive ejects in Windows Explorer, so the hardware is working good. It seems to be a compatibility issue. The Windows 8 drivers for this system are not available. You can install Windows 7 to have the eject key to work, or you can continue using Windows 8, however the eject key might not work.

Please reply if you have any questions.

January 1st, 2013 05:00

Is there a plan for the Windows 8 drivers to be released at some point? Is there a way to know for sure?

Thanks for the help

3.1K Posts

January 1st, 2013 06:00

Hi Martheo7690,

Thank you for the response. Since this system has not been tested, the drivers may not be available in the future.

Please reply if you have any questions.

3 Posts

January 4th, 2013 07:00

The completely asinine on screen CAPS LOCK indicator on the Dell Studio 1558 has been a disaster from the very outset.

I can (sort of) get it to display the key state with Quickset but it then steals the focus from any Window in which I am working, which is a _major_ source of irritation and frustration.   This alone is enough to put me of buying another Dell computer for good!

This happened on Windows 7 and it is now happening on Windows 8 and none of the versions of quickset that I have tried has solved the problem.

The Studio 1558 is an otherwise excellent product that is seriously let down by this appalling design fault on Dell's part.  

It is certainly not an obsolete system and runs Windows 8 very well in other respects.   So I don't think it is unreasonable to expect Dell to solve this issue.

So please provide a solution by providing a version of quickset for the Studio 1558 running Windows 8 (64-bit) that works.

3.1K Posts

January 5th, 2013 01:00

Hi Anarchist,

I understand it could be upsetting not to be able to use the computer properly. However, this system was not tested with Windows 8, hence the drivers may not be available in the future. You may try the drivers mentioned in the link, they might work http://dell.to/VzXmeO 

Hope this helps.

3 Posts

January 5th, 2013 06:00

Thank you for your help, which I appreciate.  

Nevertheless, with new versions of Windows every 2-3 years, I would expect Dell to provide support for the Windows OS on the machine at delivery and for at least the next version.  If Dell is unable to do this, it means that a machine that I purchase might well become obsolete less than a year after it is purchased.  

In general, apart from this serious design fault with the CAPS/NUM lock indicator, I like Dell machines (the 1558 is my fifth Dell laptop).  But if I cannot expect Dell to support _two_ sequential versions of Windows on them,  I will be much less inclined to continue with Dell.  

And from what you say, all I can expect from Dell is support for the OS with which the machine was delivered (Windows 7 in my case).   Which is a pity.

3.1K Posts

January 8th, 2013 06:00

Hi Anarchist,

I regret the inconvenience. I can see where you coming from; I appreciate the concern. I will forward the feedback to our Product Group team.

3 Posts

January 8th, 2013 09:00

Thank you for forwarding this issue as feedback.   I will keep my eye out for Window 8 drivers for the 1558 :-)

Brian

2 Posts

March 18th, 2013 09:00

This steps helped me and everything is working perfect as in windows 7. An advice: make this steps after extracting de drivers. Explore to " C:\dell\drivers\GMFY2 " (which is the default extracting path) and look for "setup.exe" file and right click on it following the steps provided by  DELL-Appu S

2 Posts

March 18th, 2013 09:00

• Download the driver from link above
  • Right Click the driver installation file and select Properties -- > Compatibility Tab.
  • Select Windows 7 from the list in the following image

• Click Apply -- > OK
  • Right Click the file and select the 'Run As Administrator' to install the driver
No Events found!