Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 5th, 2014 03:00

Studio 1558 continuous beeping at boot

Hi guys, I hope someone can help me to save a lot of time disassembling; Yesterday I replaced the bezel and screen panel on my 1558 and changed the heat sync paste on the processor, but now when I boot it, it gets 80% of the way through the BIOS boot and then beeps continuously at freeze.  I also put a small amount of paste under the thermal pad of the ATI graphics chip at the other end of the heat sync, but wiping this away made no difference.  Does anyone recognise the beeps or can make an accurate suggestion about how to fix this before I have to go through disassembling it for trial and error?  It shouldn't make a difference using thermal paste over a pad, should it?  Video attached.

1 Attachment

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 5th, 2014 06:00

You can unplug the keyboard to see if the beeps disappear or change, yes.  Most systems will halt POST if a keyboard is not detected, but the beep pattern should change.  If it doesn't, you're likely looking at a bad mainboard.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 5th, 2014 05:00

Check the keyboard connection and look for a stuck down key.

8 Posts

August 5th, 2014 06:00

Would that cause a freeze?  Can I boot without the keyboard attached to test?

8 Posts

August 5th, 2014 09:00

Yep, you were totally right - booted with a USB KB while the other was disconnected and had no trouble at all!  Thanks for that, mate - now to track down the problem key ¬_¬

No Events found!