Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

B

3 Posts

December 13th, 2008 15:00

Studio 17 Keyboard problem (solved already)

Hi, I fixed this - pretty much by accident - but couldn't find it mentioned in any online help, so I thought I'd post this in case it helps someone else.

First the symptoms;

I was having keyboard problems; Some keys needed pressing several times and even then were problematical.  The worst culprits were in a circle i-o-l-m-n-h-u, but it spread wider sometimes and sometimes was almost normal.  What REALLY didn't help was that most of my logon password is in that circle :(  Oh, and the arrow keys were working on a single press basis, holding them down did nothing.

Now it gets stranger; clicking onto the guest account, randomly typing in notepad, then coming back out and into my own account mostly cleared the problem for a while.  It SEEMED like hardware mainly, but sometimes like software.  I was abroad at the time so I was trying to put up with it until I got home and could call the help desk without needing a mortgage!

Anyway, on the day that I got home, the touchpad completely gave up, completely unresponsive.  I'm getting annoyed by this time - the laptop is only 4 months old.  I checked the website again and found something for the touchpad - drain the "flea power" (whatever that is).  Did that and lo and behold, the keyboard was fixed.  Go figure.

So, if anyone has similar problems, try draining the flea power - power down the laptop, disconnect everything, remove the battery, press and hold the power button for at least 5 seconds, then put it all back together and power it up.

I hope that this helps someone.

5 Posts

December 27th, 2010 14:00

Amazingly simple fix.  If only Dell's troubleshooting page had this.  My studio 15's keyboard stopped working all of a sudden without warning.

1 Message

January 4th, 2011 10:00

After some frustrating days with a dead keyboard on my Studio XPS I tried the blogs for inspiration.

I tried Bricorn's solution because his experiences were similar to mine.  Hey presto, it worked a treat and it is again working perfectly.  So its worth trying before spending good money on "professional solutions".

January 5th, 2011 06:00

I have tried everything to fix my Studio 17 laptop's keyboard, it never really worked correctly. I am sooooo glad you posted this. It worked! Thanks! You saved me ALOT of hassle! :emotion-2:

6 Posts

January 11th, 2011 13:00

yeayyy!!!  thank you......my keyboard was slow and the speaker buttons weren't working.......finally decided I'd check on here and voila!!  saw the suggestion of disconnecting, shutting down, unpluggine, removing battery and when I pput it all back together it all works beautifully!!  THANK YOU SO MUCH :)!!

1 Message

February 17th, 2011 19:00

I was extremely skeptical about this but it worked!  Laptop keyboard was completely unresponsive.  After I drained the "flea power" as described - It amazingly worked!  Thank you!

1 Message

June 1st, 2011 12:00

Thank you, fixed my non working keyboard problem!

1 Message

June 23rd, 2011 16:00

Thanks a lot. I solved my problem with NRK (no reaction keyboard). Greetings from Peru Jens

3 Posts

August 17th, 2011 15:00

Thanks for this tip - worked a treat...

1 Message

September 5th, 2011 10:00

Thank You so much for posting this! I'm pretty sure you taking the time to post this fix just saved me a small fortune. Your solution worked perfectly! Thanks Again!

1 Message

September 7th, 2011 14:00

I just tried this on a Dell XPS 17 system and it did NOT fix the intermittent slow responsive keyboard. I even upgraded the BIOS from A06 to A07. Any other ideas Dell? This has been plaguing my client for years now.

1 Message

October 1st, 2011 12:00

I have a Dell Latitude D830 that was having keyboard problems. Sometimes depressing a key would work-sometimes not. Tried the "drain the flea power" solution and it's fully cured. Thanks.

1 Message

October 10th, 2011 19:00

Thank you so much, I have a Studio 1737, I tried the "drain the flea power" also and it worked beautifully! thanks again.

1 Message

November 26th, 2011 15:00

Just followed your instructions and it worked great!  My keyboard was not working at all. Thank you so much!

1 Message

January 4th, 2012 17:00

My keyboard became unresponsive last evening.  I tried everything including attempting to restore to a previous point in time; shutting down and rebooting multiple times; attempting to reload my drivers, etc. I then Googled "My keyboard stopped working on my laptop dell" while at work today.  I couldn't wait until I got home to try your suggestion and low and behold it worked!  Thank you so much for sharing this fix with myself and others.

1 Message

March 5th, 2012 22:00

Thanks. Worked great for me!

No Events found!