Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 5th, 2010 21:00

Studio 1737 BIOS update issue.

This problem existed ever since I formatted my hard drive the first day I got this laptop, and reinstalled the Vista Home Premium copy that was given with it. I have just upgraded to 7 Home premium, and it is nice. However, every time I have ever gone to update the BIOS to the current version, the BIOS update program says "Cannot Continue: Version information cannot be detected". When I load up the machine the BIOS clearly states it is A04. I have received this cannot detect issue since I tried to go to A07. Saw A08 and thought I would try again, since it has been almost a year with this machine. Still a no go. Anyone know any kind of workaround or a bootable BIOS flasher? I have also tried the Dell Client Configuration Utility with no luck either. I can get it to the first webpage, and select the file, but any link I click on after that says that it isn't able to connect... Don't really understand the concept behind the DCCU, but oh well, we all know not all things work like they were intended.

P.S. Does anyone know the battery life on these things either? That is what started the search for updating the BIOS, because I thought that WIn 7 was having issues talking to the battery. But ran the Dell diagnostic util, and says the battery is nearing the end of it's usable life cycle. If I have had the laptop for little less than a year, doesn't this sound a little premature for battery suicide, or is this just the new way of things?

Thanks in advance for whatever help is offered.

9 Posts

January 9th, 2010 15:00

/bump

9 Posts

January 9th, 2010 16:00

Didn't say anything about using the Dell Download Manager, I said using the Dell Client Configuration Utility. I already have the BIOS file downloaded, but every time I use the application it won't detect the current BIOS or system, thus I cannot use the BIOS updater. The DCCU downloads then works through the browser by taking the BIOS updater executable, and I guess is supposed to make a link or a setup file for me to use to update the BIOS without the executable. But that isn't working. So what other options do I have to get the executable to work properly, or is it not recognizing the system because of a system identifier file that I could recreate?

P.S. .Net Framework is up and running, so there shouldn't be anything that would be a problem with that.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 9th, 2010 16:00

JHStarner,

To use the Dell download manager you must have the Windows .net framework installed (use Windows update).  Though it's not made clear by Dell, you DO NOT need the manager.  Go into your browser settings and delete all Dell cookies (or clear all your browser cache).  Then go back and choose "download using my browser" when you select the file for download.  You will then not need the Dell download manager at all.

Download the bios without any download accellerators as they can corrupt the files.

Then download the bioa with Internet Explorer and save the file to your desktop. Click on it and the bios will give you instructions to follow. I have installed Version A08 as it correct graphic problems with Windows 7.

Rick

9 Posts

January 12th, 2010 06:00

/bump

9 Posts

January 16th, 2010 19:00

/bump

March 19th, 2012 17:00

EVERYONE WITH THIS PROBLEM TRY THIS:

Remove all your RAM except 1 stick.

It works.

I've had this same problem before with a Studio 1555 and XPS 1640, in both instances the BIOS flash worked after I removed one of the ram sticks. In both instances I had miss matched ram, 2 different brands, 2 different sizes, one was 1GB the other was 2GB.

I hope this helps anyone doing a search for the error message:

Cannot continue because version information can't be detected

OR

Cannot continue because 1. Machine information not detected 2. Version information can't be detected

OR whatever similar DOH! you get.

No Events found!