Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 25th, 2010 19:00

Studio 1737 Keeps Losing Audio

Studio 1737.  Running Vista 64-bit.  Downloaded audio driver "IDT 92HD73C1 Audio" from the Dell site and updated driver.  All was well for a day or two and I lost sound again.  The weird thing is when I look at the little mixer it's as if it's playing audio, just can't hear anything (speakers or headphones).

Thanks in advance.

Cyn

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 25th, 2010 19:00

Cyn,

Nothing comes to mind immediately that matches those symptoms. Make sure that all volumes are turned uo and that nothing is muted. If everything is as it should be in the audio properties then try running the audio tests in Dell Diagnostics. These interactive audio tests are designed to narrow down the problem to either the software or hardware. The tests are independent of Windows and drivers, meaning it doesn't matter if those are working correctly or not. To run Dell Diagnostics

1. Restart the computer and tap the f12 key as soon as it starts to boot up .
2. Select 'Diagnostic' from the boot menu. The computer will run its pre-boot assessment tests (PSA) before Dell Diagnostics starts. During the PSA you will hear some tones through the system speaker but this does not adequately test the audio hardware. Dell Diagnostics plays an instrumental piece of music complete with drums, so if you only hear some tones then you have only run the PSA.
3. Dell Diagnostics should open after the PSA tests, or you should see an option to open it. If you have ever reformatted your entire hard drive then Dell Diagnostics will no longer be there as an option. In that case run it from the Drivers and Utilities (Resource) CD if you have one.
4. Select 'Custom', then the audio tests. (At this point - after you have opened Dell Diagnostic custom - if you can't find the option to select the audio tests that is a symptom of a failed audio chip.)
5. The tests will run. Alternate between using headphones and listening to speakers in case only one signal path is working.
The tests will play some audio and ask you whether you heard it.
6. If you don't hear the music during the test it definitely means there is a hardware failure somewhere in the system. In this case Dell will repair the computer if it is still under warranty.
7.If you do hear the audio during the test but not when you boot back into Windows, that almost always means the hardware is okay but there is a problem with the audio driver or with Windows.
8. Error codes: If you answer 'no' to any question that the test asks you, the test generates an error code that can tell a Dell technician that you answered 'no' to that question. The test does not know the exact component that has gone bad. Before answering 'no' to a question, make note of the circumstances at that point so you will know in general what the error code means.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 27th, 2010 20:00

Cyn,

Just stopping by visiting my friend Jimco and see you have a problem with your Studio 1737 Vista 64-bit computer.

Hit the Windows key and the R keys at the same time. Type

services.msc

Hit enter. Look for Windows Audio. Make sure it's set for automatic and restart the service.

What happens?

Did you try reinstalling the IDT 92HD73C1 Audio 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Drivers?

Rick

7 Posts

November 3rd, 2010 19:00

See, this is where my limited knowledge of computers and my expectation for them to behave rationally breaks down.  The second headphone test failed which makes no sense since I can't hear audio anywhere during normal circumstances.  Any other ideas?  Must be software, no?

7 Posts

November 3rd, 2010 19:00

Pudgyone, Windows audio is set for automatic.

Yes, I have reinstalled the driver many times.  The audio recovers, works for a while, then geeks out again.  Question for all: Is there a way to tell what causes it to stop working ie: clearly some sort of software conflict that,  just brainstorming here... something that automatically updates?  How can I pin it down?  I so don't want to pay my computer guy for something this simple.

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 3rd, 2010 20:00

The second headphone test failed

I am sorry but I have utterly lost the thread of your narrative. What headphone test? And what about the 1st headphone test -- did it pass?

which makes no sense since I can't hear audio anywhere during normal circumstances.

Once again I am sorry, but I can't get the sense of this either. If you cannot get audio during normal circumstance why is it surprising that an audio test would fail?

Hope you can clear up some of the confusion I am having. Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 4th, 2010 04:00

Cyn295,

In addition to what Jim stated, I have a Studio 1737 with Vista Home Premium 64-bit on one partition and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on the other partition. If you ask about settings on a device, I will compare my settings for you to see if they're identical. Depending on the time of day, this is my weekend to work, so my responces may be a little delayed.

I told you the drivers I used to install the drivers on my Studio 1737.

You can restart your computer and press F12 and run the diagnostics. If the first part passes, then try running the fulll diagnostics and see if it passes.

Rick

7 Posts

November 4th, 2010 07:00

< >

You advised me to run Dell Diagnostics custom audio test.  Everything passed the test except the second headphone test, but I don't hear sound ever during normal circumstances.  

< >

Why would only one test fail?  And why are there two headphone tests?  And why would one pass and the other wouldn't?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 4th, 2010 10:00

Cyn295,

Did the Diagnostics give an error code?

Start, control panel, sounds

Double click on speaker / headphones, general, properties. You should see this. Make sure use this device is enabled.

Does it state the device is working properly?

Under levels, my settings are set at...

Then clicking the advanced tab, make sure your settings match these.

Finally for Independent Headphones, general, make sure the use this device is enabled.

If your compouter still does not work, the maybe Jimco can suggest something. If he cannot suggest something and the computer is still under waranty, then contact Dell Tech Support for help on the sound issue.

Rick

7 Posts

November 4th, 2010 15:00

Rick,

You rock!!!  The IDT High Def CODEC was not set as the default somehow.  I checked all the settings just to be safe and they matched yours.

Thanks to you and Jimco both.

Cyn

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 4th, 2010 17:00

Cyn,

Glad the pictures and settings helped. Sometimes it's easier that way.

Take care,

Rick

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 5th, 2010 04:00

< >

You advised me to run Dell Diagnostics custom audio test.  Everything passed the test except the second headphone test, but I don't hear sound ever during normal circumstances.  

< >

Why would only one test fail?  And why are there two headphone tests?  And why would one pass and the other wouldn't?

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I have a different version of Dell Diagnostics and I don't think it has any headphone test, much less 2 of them.

I'm glad that you got it fixed. I would like to know what was set as the default if not IDT Audio? I just want to know so that I can get a better understanding of what setting shuts off the audio.

Rick, great work! I am very glad you helped out because I would not have figured it out.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 5th, 2010 07:00

Jim,

Just remember, I have a Dell Studio 1737 with Vista Home Premium 64-bit on one partition and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on the other partition. I am willing to share my settings, so you know where to find me :emotion-5:

Take acre,

Rick

Pictures are sometimes worth a thousand words but become perfect guides to help people out

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 5th, 2010 09:00

Pictures are sometimes worth a thousand words but become perfect guides to help people out

One of my limitations is that I have an Inspiron 1100 with XP Home and the AC97 codec. The way the Audio Properties are displayed on my screen are quite different from the way they are displayed on machines that have an HD driver. Anytime someone posts pictures like yours, I download and save them for reference, which helps, but is not the same as having the actual interface in front of me. Thanks for the offer of help as I will be taking you up on it.

The thing I don't understand about this thread is what was the default device option that caused the audio to cease from both the speakers and headphones. The R.T.C. Headphones? I understand that is sort of a karaoke or d.j. setting that allows for separate audio streams through the 2 jacks, but why would it shut off audio to the headphones?

7 Posts

November 5th, 2010 14:00

Jimco,

I can't figure out how to post a pic here but I thought you may find it interesting that I have 5 additional "Audio Devices" besides my headphones and HD speakers.  Consequently, when I went in to do a print screen for you, the default was set back to one of the other devices:

WsAudio_DeviceS(3)

Once I reset the default, the sound worked again.  I wonder what is causing the default to reset and if I can just delete those other 5 "audio devices."

Cyn

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 5th, 2010 19:00

Cyn,

I am unfamiliar with that driver so I googled it and found a number of references to viruses and such, but also to some actual software named Wondershare that is a recorder. If you have a usb recorder plugged in then unplug it.

If that is not the case then try to find the driver in the Device Manager and remove it there. I'm not sure of the exact path in Vista, something like:

Start > Control Panel > Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers, and right click on WS Device if there. Select Uninstall. If the driver is not there then use the Windows search tool to try to locate it.

Look for the other drivers in the same area. Be aware that if those are valid drivers for hardware or software devices you have, those devices will no longer work after the drivers are removed. There might be a setting in the devices or applications that would prevent them from taking over as the default audio device.

No Events found!