Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

July 10th, 2009 22:00

Studio 1737 Soft-key above keyboard; cinema key not working

I just received my new 1737 and I love it.

One problem however is that above the keyboard is a set of cool soft keys that light up when you touch them.  The eject key and the volume keys work great!

I can also get the VCR keys to work as long as I manually start the Power DVD DX application

However, on the far left is a soft key that according to manual on page 27 of the online PDF and page 29 of the paper manual, it is suppose to launch MediaDirect or Power DVD.  This button lights up, but does not launch anything.

Is there a registry setting or config file that needs to be set to assign a keystroke to this soft key?

For example, I know from test that this key generates CTRL + ALT +    If I could set it to say generate CTRL + ALT + M I could then assign that keystroke the Power DVD shortcut and it would launch the application the way it should.

I have been searching for hours cannot find the proper registry or config file and quicket does not seem to have a UI for the soft-keys

Any help would be great!\

Thanks

Enzo

July 11th, 2009 15:00

emaini,

If I touch my Media button when the computer is turned off. it works as a power switch. I don't have it do anything else. My Studio 1737 doesn't even have Power DVD.

Rick

18 Posts

July 11th, 2009 17:00

Rick,

If I touch my Media button when the computer is turned off, it does nothing :emotion-6:.  Are you sure you are not in sleep mode when that happens?  As far as I know from cold boot the only way to start the laptop is with the power button on the right side of the computer.  I just tried and if I shutdown, there is no way to restart without using the power button.

Also, I don't disagree with you, but in 3 revisions of the manual for the laptop now that I have see (The online PDF, the one that came with my computer, and a copy of the manual that my roommate has when he purchased the same computer in March)  the cinema button (also called Media Direct Button in earlier version of the manual) as being allocated to start Power DVD.

I have checked BIOS and I have checked software, it seems odd that I cannot configure that button do what I want.  When I press the button it clear send a CTRL+ALT+ command (I have software that tells me) -- if Dell would make it configurable I can set it to launch whatever I wanted.

In other Dell Laptops I have owned in the past, you could use Quickset to handle different functions of soft buttons.  heck!  on my T3400 Dell with media keyboard I can setup all the keys at the top to do whatever it is I want.

Someone should either figure out how to enable that button or change the manual to say that that button is not used and its just a pretty icon to fool you because the picture has no relationship to what it does.

I do appreciate the reply however, it is VERY frustrating when things are poorly documented or do not function as one should believe it to.

Enzo

July 11th, 2009 23:00

Enzo,

I had some free time, so I got out my backup disks that I got from Dell and installed Power DVD. On the first try, I pressed the media button and nothing happened. I then opened Power DVd and click on online update and updated Power DVD. I then installed it and shutdown my computer. I press on the media button and the computer turns on, this is from a proper shutdown. I then inserted a DVD(homemade of my daughters dance recital) and it played like it should.

I have a Dell Studio 1737 Vista Home Premium (32-bit) and just got my computer in January. My Bios is version 04 and I haven had any issues, so I never updated it. I will most likely uninstall it as I use Windows Media Player and VLC Player for most of my Videos. I don't understand how to program your buttons or I could try this and see if it works with the bios version I have. I don't see a command button.

Windows Mobility Center is taking the place of Quickset, I believe.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but I got locked out of the forums and had to use my backup account.

Rick

18 Posts

July 12th, 2009 06:00

Thanks for taking the time to do that investigation

My system is configured as follows which is probably the difference

Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit (this was my only option when I purchased the computer).   It was purchased July 1st.  A note came with the computer to update the BIOS, which I did.  I know have BIOS A06.  I have updated Power DVD because I was prompted the first time I launched it.

I can confirm that the media button DOES NOT start the laptop and while Power DVD works, it does not work via the soft key

What I did was assign the CTRL+ALT+M key to the short cut which Windows allows, and that works just fine.

BTW: The reason I am using Power DVD is because on my laptop (maybe because of the ATI GPU) the video playback is MUCH MUCH better than if I play it on Media Center.  I get super ridiculout what seems to be 60fps playback via Power DVD.  With Media Center it is grainy and pixelated and I get better Dolby Sound from Power DVD which I do not get with Media Center.

There are obvious 32 vs 64 differences that are not well documented

Other than a few annoying things, I am very happy with the laptop otherwise

Enzo

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 12th, 2009 13:00

Enzo,

I try not to have too many programs on my computer that do the same thing. I use VLC Player. I tried to look and I see it might not work with 64-bit very well, but there are work arounds.

I noticed on my daughter's Studio 1537 Vista 64-bit, that you can install programs in the Program Files Folder(64-bit or the Program Files Folder. The second folder is for installing the 32-bit programs and seems to work well for her.

I love my Studio 1737 Vista 32-bit and was considering going to 64-bit, just too much going on with moving at the present time.

Rick

2 Posts

November 20th, 2009 21:00

I'm having exactly the same problem with my Studio 1535.

Do you already know how to config it?

1 Message

December 27th, 2009 12:00

This actually worked for me, this is the only reason I joined it to post the solution;

I've had the same problem. Apparently it happens with Dell computers very often. Simple fix however. Make sure to turn your computer off, unplug everything, power, usb connections, dock station, etc. pull out your battery for at lest a minute and while you have your battery out, push and hold the power button for about 10 seconds. This is called "draining the flea power". After a minute put your laptop back together and turn it on and volia! I've tried it and worked like a magic. Let me know how it goes.

1 Message

January 8th, 2010 16:00

THANK YOU for your excellent post.  Worked perfectly for me. 

A++++

January 27th, 2010 10:00

Can someone post the instructions for programming the soft keys to do something other than what is delivered by Dell?  The far left soft key on my Dell Studio sometimes sticks on and launches (and relaunches) Media Direct.  I then loose control of the computer and have to pull all power to get it shutdown (Task Manager does not respond - nothing does).  I then have to restart while holding the STOP soft key on or the whole process starts over again.  Very frustrating.

January 27th, 2012 02:00

thank you my dear friend,

that really working on my dell 1535 studio

you are very very good.

thank you...

1 Message

March 24th, 2012 02:00

This worked!! Thanks !!!

No Events found!