Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2011 16:00

Studio XPS 1640 multimedia keys/buttons above keyboard not working.

Today when I turned my computer on I realized that the row of touch-pad like buttons above the keyboard on the right side were not illuminated and did not work. Unfortunately, my wireless internet adapter is turned off and the wireless/bluetooth key is the only way to turn it on.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? I don't even know where to access the settings for this row of keys. I've tried taking the battery out and holding the power button for a minute... that doesn't work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

January 17th, 2011 08:00

This just happened to me too.   If you hold a flashlight to the side, you can barely make out the symbols for all the functions except the wireless.  Try gently touching the area just to the right of the "Studio XPS" logo, moving a little further to the right each time.  You'll hit the sweet spot that will toggle your wireless back on.  I'm still searching for a solution to get those lights back on.  Good luck to us!

January 17th, 2011 10:00

I found this fix on other forums and it worked for me:

- turn laptop off

- unplug power supply cable

- remove the battery, then replace battery

- plug in the power supply

- hold power button down for 30 seconds

You should see the touch buttons flicker back on either during the 30 seconds or release the button after 30 seconds and then press it again.  

19 Posts

March 7th, 2011 19:00

Unfortunately that does not work. Any other possibilities? The buttons do not work at all - it's not just the lights.

19 Posts

September 15th, 2011 13:00

I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps installing Windows 7 was the cause of this issue (the timing is about right).

I've reinstalled QuickSet but the lights still do not turn on.

Is there anyone who might have an idea? I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks!

No Events found!