Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 5th, 2010 11:00

Studio & XPS Users experiencing video lockups and freezes / Throttling issues

If you have questions regarding 130 watt power adapters, please refer to the thread below:
Attention Studio XPS 1645/47 and Studio 1747 owners

For all others, I am not an engineer so if you have something you would like to see added to this initial post, please PM me and I will add it.

Since rumors are that there are different motherboard revisions, please download the 64bit version of CPU-Z here.

In the Mainboard tab, please tell us your Model # and BIOS revision as well as the model of laptop you are using.  Please make sure you are running the latest drivers.

So again, please provide:
Model of laptop
BIOS Revision number
Board Model
Power supply (130w/90w)
If you are running non-Dell-approved drivers, please tell us what version(s) you are using of those as well.

After you have put this in the header of your response, please state what issues you are still having with:
Throttling
System lock-ups
Performance between battery and AC adaptor plugged in
Playing HD streams
USB power
Sleep or hibernate issues
Fan constantly running at high speeds
The engineers and developers are (from what I can tell) doing a pretty decent job of trying to find a cure for all of the issues so let's try and make this as concise as possible for them to make things go faster :)

20 Posts

July 10th, 2010 21:00

The link for your post that refers to click here does not work. Also I posted problems I had with my computer elsewhere because I didn't wish to take up a whole page with this post. http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19338514.aspx (You want some details right?)

2 Posts

July 15th, 2010 00:00

Hello Sir, here are my laptop details,

Model - Dell XPS 1645

BIOS Revision number - A09

Board Model - 0Y517R

Processor - i7 720QM

Power supply (130w/90w) - 130w

Graphic Card - ATI Radeon HD 4670

Chipset - Intel PM55 Rev-11

I'm running with latest drivers.

Issues : Sir, this laptop pretty awesome as compared to other problems which people are facing. The problem i face is while playing games, i can play games up to one & half hours, after that, sound starts cracking & the game starts lagging, den completely slows down making me unable to play. What is the solution for this ? Upgrading to bios A10 can solve the problem ? Also is there any way to upgrade the GPU ? Help appreciated. 

38 Posts

September 28th, 2010 16:00

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19348143/19756411.aspx#19756411

For me, I think I isolated random crashes to the Ethernet adapter.  I ran using WiFi for a few weeks and eventually updated the Realtek direct from their website.  Unfortunately I updated so much stuff now that I'm not sure exactly what sorted it out.  But eitherway, I detailed most of what I had done and it for others to try.

October 1st, 2010 08:00

I posted this in a blog by mistake - I hope that I can get an answer here.

As of 9/28/10 I am ordering an XPS 16 (1645 specifically). By reading the throtling threads, it "appears" that current productin as of this date should include updated  BIOS and the 130W power supply. Therefore I should not encounter this issue.   Is this correct?

BTW - Im also looking to see  what are the differences betwen the XPS 16 1340, 1640, 1645 and 1670...

Thanks!

10 Posts

November 8th, 2010 13:00

I am having a similar problem.  Frequent random freezes, sometimes on boot, sometimes after using the machine for an hour or two, sometimes it can go days without locking up.

I'm running all the latest drivers and updates from Dell, including the A13 from 9/30/2010.  It's a Studio 1747 with a 90w PSU and the 85wh battery.  Configuration is as-shipped.

4 Posts

November 9th, 2010 03:00

I can't believe this problem is still going on with the Dell products.  I wonder why they can't either fix it or have a massive recall.

Good luck.  Lots of interesting reading in this post.  All pointing in the same direction.  Customer service at its best.:emotion-18:

December 3rd, 2010 12:00

Dear Todd.

I'll hope you're doing well.

I want to know if the AC overheating adapter of 90 w appiles fot the Studio 1557 with I7 proceesor. Can you confirm this???

I'm experiencing very low performance off battery charging, possible due a low output of the AC adapter, I don´t kow it this could affect the lap performance in any way

Some Days ago I was experiencing throttling CPU too but Iv'e recived a heatsink, Mobo and fan replacements solving this issue. I´v tested this for 2 days at 100% of CPU usage and continue

I'm using A04 revision with no issues. 10.11 version of ATI CCC software version (10-11_mobility_vista_win7_32-64_ccc.exe).

Flash payer 10.1.102.64  plugin and 10.0.22.87 Active X

Currently I can only see somme throttling Issues in GPU due overheat (100-101 °C reached) when GPU loads reach 100% a minute later,

All Windows update has been instaded until now.

No Crash, lookup has been shown since changes were made

I Experienced before this updates several crashes and Throttling due overtemp.

Thanks in advance.

12 Posts

December 29th, 2010 19:00

Todd S,

I have a few questions regarding "throttling" issue on Studio XPS 1640-026B (OCT 2009).

Q1: Is this issue the cause of video problems like "web page image content causes display to blink rapidly as if trying to refresh the screen"?

Q2: Will a 130w adaptor help correct this issue on this XPS 1640?

Q3: Can a 130w adaptor correct the video display issue in Q1 above, without installing BIOS and software updates in Q3 below?

Q3: Are the BIOS, software and driver updates listed below compatible with Win7 (new re-install) on this XPS 1640-026B?

Background: This Studio XPS 1640-026B laptop system was purchased just before Win7 became mandatory on all new laptop sales (at least from Best Buy) in October 2009. It had Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit. It has 16" WLED High Definition wide screen display and 512 MB ATI Radeon HD 3670 dedicated graphics. I first posted this problem In January 2010 with very limited response from the Community. I am hoping that these items will correct my problems with this XPS System and would like additional confirmations before I attempt any changes. It is a very nice laptop that I hope to keep in service for the next few years.

Thank You in Advance,

Stephen F.

See Also "Attention Studio XPS 1640/1645/47 and Studio 1747 owners" posted by TODD S Mon, Feb 8 2010 10:59 PM

I have a quick update for customers who own a Studio XPS 1640 system.    We recently released an updated BIOS (version A14) for the 1640.   Similar to the updates to the Studio XPS 1645 and Studio 1747 we updated the algorithm that controls CPU usage on those systems.   We believe we’ve improved the efficiency of the BIOS to resolve issues customers may have been seeing with their processors being throttled by the BIOS.   
If you own a 1640 and want to improve your system performance then we highly recommend you perform the following steps.

1.       Update your BIOS to version A14 <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell> or newer.  

2.       Update your Dell System Software to version A05 or newer.

3.       Verify the Video driver is Version 8.631.0.000, A09 or later

Optional updates that we recommend as well include updating your video card driver to version A17 or higher.   
Once you have updated your BIOS, Dell System Software and video card drivers then we suggest you use your system under normal usage to see how it performs.    If you still feel that you’re experiencing problems with your CPU backing off due to power issues you can call Dell’s Technical Support to troubleshoot further.    

12 Posts

December 31st, 2010 14:00

@SF sorry for your luck. You must be the only one on the planet STILL having these issues???

:emotion-42:

12 Posts

December 31st, 2010 14:00

@Michael Dell

Please help with this dilemma.

I can’t be the only one on the planet with the problem.

Are the Chinese manufacturers keeping the best systems for themselves and exporting their “lemons”?

This is “Serious Business” Michael Dell!

What are we to do?

SF

Sorry to have to bring this to light…

12 Posts

January 1st, 2011 15:00

Why can't I join the XPS Owners Group?

Why can't I "post a question / blog" for help?

• What does this mean: "There are not any applications that you can create content for in this group."?
  • Need help please...
  • SF

4 Posts

February 3rd, 2011 18:00

Model xps M1730

Bios A10 tried A11 caused constant fan throttling even when system was cool

Board model 0KX412

power supply 130w

system lockups when ever video is shown such as youtube or many other sites even if not hd no problem on game sites though

though not always also sometimes locks up video ads are played off to the side of the screen

Power Supply- lately after unplugging and replugging it says it can't be identified as a 130 and won't charge restart fix's this issue still annoying since i use it for school

22 Posts

April 11th, 2011 12:00

That link is not working.

Oh yeah tried to update latest BIOS from ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/bios/1747A14_W32-64.exe from their support center. Downloading not working... brilliant.

I've spent ages trying to find out why my screen goes black for a while when I open pictures but still it continues. I can't remember anymore what I haven't tried. It would help if Dell had their website at least working.

I know now not to never buy Dell again. They should pay me for my time trying to fix their laptop.

22 Posts

>Verify the Video driver is Version 8.631.0.000, A09 or later

link not working..... :emotion-52:

4 Posts

Three years and 404 responses and still nothing firm to fix this problem?  Glad I received this notice.  My company was getting ready to pull the trigger on buying two dozen replacement laptops.  This makes PART of my job easier.

No Events found!