Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 30th, 2016 01:00

Switchable graphics in Dell Inspiron 5559

Hi,

Just bought Dell Inspiron 5559. It was supposed to be a 1920x1080 but much to my surprise it has a dual graphics card where the default Intel is a limited 1366x768 and the other card is AMD which should be able to reach 1920x1080, when you have to set the desired game in the AMD CCC to load accordingly.

The thing is that this laptop was NOT bought for games at all but for office work. My requirements are little: to be able to use Windows desktop in a 1920x1080 and not settle for 1366x768. It is kind of frustrating to have an AMD card that should allow the Full HD but I am force to use the built-in Intel one (BTW, if the Intel was capable of reaching the high-res, that would have been perfect).

Is there any way to achieve that by tweaking BIOS or anything else?

Thanks.

1.8K Posts

January 31st, 2016 09:00

Hello,

You may be able to go into the System Setup (BIOS) and change the display options from Dynamic to "fixed" but I'm not sure.  I don't have a version of that BIOS to review to make sure.

But the easier way would be via the AMD Catalyst Control Center.  You should be able to go to the Welcome Screen in AMD CCC and select Power, then Switchable Graphics.  You can select the application(s) you want to set to use the AMD card as default and from then on the system will use that video card.  

Here is a link to a discussion on changing the defaults in BIOS.   Remember, if this is an option it will also seriously use power more quickly then the integrated graphics and you'll see a reduced amount of time you can use it on battery power between charges.

If you have any other question, to help me troubleshoot this a bit easier, please click on my Dell Todd username and send me a private message with the Dell service tag of that system.  Please keep all discussions and troubleshooting here in this open thread so that others can see what is done to answer your question.

Todd

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 31st, 2016 10:00

Your system setup (F2 at powerup) will tell you what resolution your screen has - from the sound of it, you purchased a system with the 1366X768 screen, not the optional FHD screen.  As is the case with the AMD GPU, it's an option in the system - the lower-end models in the line are not FHD, just as some have Intel-only GPUs (the AMD is optional, as is the higher resolution screen).

No Events found!