Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 24th, 2009 16:00

System reports 4gb in System Properties but programs only see 2.75

Alright, so this is confusing me, I bought my wife's laptop from the dell site about 4 weeks ago, I put on options like the Radeon 4350 256 and 4gb of ram, but I was never given a option for 64bit windows Vista in the choices, yet in 32bit it shows 4gb of usable ram, but in Photoshop is shows only 2.75. This is ridiculous and borderline false advertising. On top of it, I called dell and they said I would need to pay 199 for 64bit Vista and I still wouldn't be allowed to get the windows 7 upgrade. What gives dell, I've been buying PC's from you for years, don't go all HP on me.

21 Posts

October 24th, 2009 19:00

I would agree to that. Up to the point, that newbies might need a nudge in the right direction. Before they make really bad decisions. Finding out about third party software errors, can help with over all knowledge of how your OS plays with others.

468 Posts

Some programs and hardware like windows vista can 'see' how much ram you have in your computer, however they can not access anything above 3.5GB due to 32-bit limitations.  I agree that Dell should not have sold you a 32 bit OS if you had more then 3 Gigs of RAM installed on the machine.  Dell has issues knowing the fundamentals of how computers work so its really no surprise.

14.4K Posts

October 24th, 2009 16:00

This is not a Dell issue no matter what you think. This is the limitation of a 32 bit OS see HERE for some info

There is nothing that can be done but by switching to a 64 bit OS.

21 Posts

October 24th, 2009 17:00

This might help if you want to do some work....http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itprovistahardware/thread/d284ad5c-929e-4c9c-98ae-f15aa7ae2d32

A quote from (web.blogs/MSDN.) "Due to an architectural decision made long ago, if you have 4GB of physical RAM installed, Windows is only able to report a portion of the physical 4GB of RAM (ranges from ~2.75GB to 3.5GB depending on the devices installed, motherboard's chip set & BIOS)." You can find the site here

http://blogs.msdn.com/hiltonl/archive/2007/04/13/the-3gb-not-4gb-ram-problem.aspx

9 Posts

But that's false reporting, saying I have 4gb and not being able to use it is poor judgment on there part. I don't think I should have to pay for a new operating system when the one they shipped with the PC says I can use 4gb. And if it is a cover up, it's a poor one. I would like a Dell Representative to tell me why they decided to put a false reporting mechanic into an operating system version that can't do what they claim.

9 Posts

I know that, but why is windows (in everything, even task manager and programs that check for memory) shows 4gb (hence the screen shot) Most pcs on 32bit with 4gb show 3.25 or 2.75 but this one shows all 4gb yet I can't use all 4 that windows is reporting to have available.

21 Posts

As long as the bios is correct, I really don't think it should make a difference. Windows 7 64 bit would defiantly take care of that though. Updates in vista might be why you can see 4gb. The operating system, who's name can not be spoken of, made some significant changes in sp2 to the fundamental os. This is probably why you can see 4, I am sure that many people have complained to OEMs about this, and it has cost lots of time to explain these issues. So updating the os to give the end user the ability to see this i probably a good thing. 

11 Posts

October 24th, 2009 18:00

i don't understand why people having problems with 3rd party software come here complaining in the Dell forums.  this should be in the Adobe Photoshop support forums or in one of the microsoft help forums, but i'd go with adobe if it was me :emotion-5:

14.4K Posts

Again this is the limitation of the operating system period there is no false advertising or anything. a 32 bit os can only physically address 4 gigs and the lower number is the result of reserving system memory.

A change was made in Vista I cannot remember which sp  it was but that change was to report the TOTAL SYSTEM RAM INSTALLED, just like the bios. How much you have actually free is dependent upon you particular system configuration .

This is not an OEM issue it is the result of running 32 bit operating systems. Period

9 Posts

Nobody seems to be understanding the point, THE OPERATING SYSTEM, THE OS. WINDOWS IT'S SELF IS REPORTING ALL 4GB (not like my other 32bit system that reports 3.25gb in the system properties) I don't understand community sites that have condescending answers like "This might help if you want to do some work" I know about the "Architectural Decision" but this isn't about Windows showing less ram than I have, it's about it reporting all the memory is avalible but programs not being able to access it all. I did a test, pulled out 1 stick and it System Properties reports 2gb, put it back in and it reports 4gb. either way photoshop only sees 2gb. While on MY 64bit system, Photoshop see's all 4gb.

9 Posts

I'm not complaining about an Adobe issue, I'm using it as an example. Community forums are no replacement for paid assistance, that I can see. In retrospect, I can see why nobody understands the issue. They are all goggling or searching the issue, but it's not something that I saw in my 4 hours of researching my self, thus why I decided to post in this "Help" forum. Anybody can link to someone else content and call it help, it takes paid assistance to give answers I suppose.

I'll put it this way:

Back in Windows XP SP3 32bit, 4gb was reported as 3.25 or 2.75 depending on how many PCI slots you had occupied. So 3.25 or 2.75 was normal

On my Asus G51vx-RX05 Vista 64, 4gb is reported in system properties as 4gb, Photoshop shows 3466mb of Available RAM

In Windows Vista 32bit SP2 on my Vostro 1500, 4gb shows as 3.25 shows 2240mb Available RAM

On Windows Vista 32bit SP2 on this dell 1545 with 4gb, it shows as 4gb shows 1658mb Available RAM

My question is, how is it that my VOSTRO 1500, when I put 4gb in it, shows in system properties as 3.25gb (and then says something about 32bit windows) and my Inspiron 1545 shows 4gb, nothing about an issue with 32bit windows and memory, and programs all see MUCH LESS memory than what windows reports as True amount of RAM.

Without sending me to another site, answer that and give me a reason NOT to return My dell.

14.4K Posts

Some programs and hardware like windows vista can 'see' how much ram you have in your computer, however they can not access anything above 3.5GB due to 32-bit limitations.  I agree that Dell should not have sold you a 32 bit OS if you had more then 3 Gigs of RAM installed on the machine.  Dell has issues knowing the fundamentals of how computers work so its really no surprise.

so Dell is the only one selling 32 bit systems with 4gigs? I hardly think not. OEM sell what the consumers want. And the consumers want 4 gigs in systems.

9 Posts

Calm down, he's right. When I go to HP's site and make a pc, anything at 4gb and above get's 64bit windows. This was an oversight on dells part. How would you like to be sold a new tv that says it does 1080p and you get home to find out it only does 720p due to a firmware limitation, sure, the panel is 1080p, but due to the firmware, it only allows 720p. Why advertise and sell more than you can use?

9 Posts

October 26th, 2009 13:00

So can a Dell Rep offer me a solution that doesn't involve me spending more money on a PC that was supposed to do 64bit?

21 Posts

October 26th, 2009 15:00

Nobody can help you, if you do not change your OS. Even if bill gates built you an OS, just for you, I am sure that he would ask you to pay for his services. What you are

having a problem with, is really not a problem. It is the software coding of a 32bit system. By definition, a 32-bit processor uses 32 bits to refer to the location of each byte of memory. 2^32 = 4.2 billion, which means a memory address that's 32 bits long can only refer to 4.2 billion unique locations (i.e. 4 GB). SORRY

No Events found!