Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

February 18th, 2015 09:00

The can't be correct! - NEW Inspiron 13-7347

Windows 8.1. I purchased this laptop yesterday (17 Feb 2015). Going through the usual set-up items no problems. I finally get to where I need to use the touchpad - NO SCROLLING. So, I'm thinking, no problem, I'll just go into the control panel and adjust the touchpad settings. Nope. There are NO TOUCH PAD SETTINGS.

So, I go to the Dell website to download the latest TouchPad driver - NOTHING listed  there for my laptop.

This can't be correct.

Annoyed customer

5.2K Posts

February 18th, 2015 10:00

TouchPad settings are found under MOUSE in the Control Panel.

8 Posts

February 18th, 2015 10:00

No they are not. Just regular mouse setting. No touchpad settings.

5.2K Posts

February 18th, 2015 15:00

If there are no settings, then you probably have no driver. What does it say in the Device Manager?

8 Posts

February 18th, 2015 18:00

Device manager says:HID compliant mouse and PS/2 compatible mouse

I am an above average pc guy (I repair laptops/pc's). No driver for the touchpad exists. It uses windows 8.1 default - which is nothing. No settings are available. Quite annoying.

I think this Touchpad ommission was a DELL 'oops'

I have never heard of a laptop touchpad without a scroll and settings.

I'm returning this laptop -

Thank you for trying...

5.2K Posts

February 18th, 2015 19:00

You could try a non-Dell driver. There are only two major pads. The Toshiba site has updated drivers for these pads. These drivers are usually full-featured. I always use them to replace the usually combed down Dell or MS drivers.

5.2K Posts

February 18th, 2015 19:00

You could try a non-Dell driver. There are only two major pads. The Toshiba site has updated drivers for these pads. These drivers are usually full-featured. I always use them to replace the usually combed down Dell drivers.

8 Posts

February 19th, 2015 18:00

No settings available for the touchpad, no driver - unbelievable

I returned the Laptop and got a refund.

2 Posts

February 24th, 2015 18:00

I have an Inspiron 7348 and there are no settings for the touchpad as well.  Do you have a link to the Toshiba drivers you mention?

Thanks,

Todd

5.2K Posts

February 24th, 2015 19:00

Go to the Toshiba site and search for pad drivers.

February 26th, 2015 14:00

Can you please provide the URL for the drivers for the 7348 Touchpad (Toshiba Drivers) as I'm battling Dell to get drivers and/or a BIOS Update.

Do you also find your touchpad to be very difficult to use when running on battery?  I sometimes have to click it multiple times.  I also find the keyboard backlight to be very flaky, sort of having a mind of its own.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ...

David

5.2K Posts

February 26th, 2015 16:00

First try this Dell site: http://www.driverscape.com/download/dell-touchpad

Then look here for Toshiba: http://support.toshiba.com/drivers

There are many sites to check for drivers. Pick the newest one from the lists for your pad brand.

March 2nd, 2015 18:00

The only problem is that driverscape requires you to pay a subscription fee for downloading the drivers.  I tried the Toshiba driver but it does not always work.  Do you have another URL that does not charge?

According to Dell Support, they have no plans of releasing a driver for this.  The escalation person I worked with told me to update the BIOS.  I explained to that person that the unit is only on Version 1.0 of the BIOS and there have not been any updates.  Pretty pathetic that this person does not have enough familiarity with their product.

they also told me to mail in my unit even though this unit has already been replaced and the original one also had a touchpad replacement as the unit has very little sensitivity on battery.

Perhaps someone needs to institute a Class Action *** against Dell for not supporting the touchpad.  Once the legal system gets involved, i'm sure they will jump into action when faced with thousands of upset customers.

5.2K Posts

March 2nd, 2015 20:00

Here is the Dell Win 8 touch pad driver for the Inspiron 13z; not the 7347 later model. I would try this anyway,as most pad drivers are too touchy about the brand and model. Interesting that this is listed but not one for the 7347.

ALPS Touchpad Driver View details
5460_Input_Driver_PTJ4C_WN_8.1200.101.218_A00.EXE | Update Package for Microsoft® Windows® (66 MB)
Mouse, Keyboard & Input Devices|
Release date 17 Oct 2013
|Last Updated 18 Oct 20
The page listing the drivers is:
It is listed under Mouse, keyboards, input systems.
The next site is a list of all the pad drivers Dell has for Alps pads. The COMPATIBILITY links show what models are covered. None show the 7347. I would begin with the newest and try them all. It is puzzling that Dell doesn't list a driver for the 7347.
There is a tab near the bottom of this page on the right edge. Click it and you will see a link to start an on-line chat with Dell. The chat line is mucho better than phone calls. 

March 3rd, 2015 16:00

Unfortunately, the driver installation failed.  There is something different in this touchpad that does not work with many drivers

3 Posts

March 4th, 2015 14:00

After reading several other threads on this problem I am convinced there is some sort of design flaw with the touchpad on this model. One user even stated that touching a screw on the back of the unit would make it work. If a replaced touchpad has the same or similar issues, the problem must be bigger than drivers.

Good luck with this, but this one is going back to Costco. No time for this kind of grief.

No Events found!