Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 14th, 2016 11:00

Thunderbolt TB15 Dock still not working

I just installed the latest set of drivers. The dock still does not connect to my XPS 15- 9550.

This process has gone on for two months.

July 9th, 2016 11:00

As an update: I've been running a small USB fan to keep the TB-15 cool for two weeks now and no drop-outs.  Since I am only using my TB-15 to drive two monitors, I don't know if other issues with ethernet and USB are the same heat problem, but this has certainly solved my issues until something better comes along.  I've noticed that when I disconnect my XPS13 from the dock, the USB powered fan (plugged into the dock) loses power momentarily then comes back on.  Could be related to power supply/heat issues.

8 Posts

July 9th, 2016 11:00

I have the pluggable 3 video one, it's in and out of stock on amazon but I got lucky. It's not working for me, and apparently it has to do with the USB-C on the XPS 9550 (they have it documented on their site). They are sending me a tested unit if that doesn't work, then I'll be calling support to return my XPS 9550.

11 Posts

July 9th, 2016 12:00

All, just FYI that all posts to this forum are delayed by a couple off days cuz the moderator has to approve your post. Please everyone look at my post regarding disabling the wifi which fixed my DA200 adapter issue. Dell 3rd level support still has to get back to me regarding my finding.

So I'd be interested if the wifi thing fixes your TB15 problems. Don't know about overheating cuz I wasn't able to order one.

So I'd like to hear from people about disabling wifi. What's your findings.

15 Posts

July 9th, 2016 15:00

Same story here,

I spend hours and hours by installing the drivers, reboot installing the drivers again and again etc etc

Sometimes it work some time no,

Sometimes I have internet some time no

Sometime my video works some time no

Actually I have two pieces of hem and I use them as a power supply!!

A very expensive one.

Still no solution to this problem !

Concept is good if it works

Dell do something on this issues !!

7 Posts

July 10th, 2016 02:00

Hi parianos, did you install the thunderbolt bios drivers from 06 Jul 16 and the laptop bios from 08 Jul 16? If not, please try those, and try for a few hours and maybe post back so I can see if the new drivers/bios helped other people too. Because I'm really hoping It fixed my usbc (one day testing and so far no dropouts/problems yesterday).

15 Posts

July 10th, 2016 11:00

Hi there,

I did not know of the existence of those two drivers.

Any way I installed them.

I think about the internet drop out and sound drop out is ok. (Much too soon come within a week about that back)

Concerning the video drop out, still the same problem.

I get for a second or two a video image and then it goes L

13 Posts

July 11th, 2016 03:00

I only use a 4k and a 2.5k external monitor and the laptops screen simultaneously. This has worked since I got the replacement TB15, i.e. before yesterdays XPS 15 bios/ USB-C  update

They stopped selling the tb15 recently, understandably. Maybe it will re-appear

4 Posts

July 11th, 2016 03:00

Great news!

So the Ethernet and two external monitors are now working without problems?
Does 3 screens work with the XPS15 and the TB15 docking station?

When i search on the dell website i cannot find the TB15 docking station anymore i only get a hit when searching for WD15.

I need a stabile docking station for 3 external monitor support.
accessories.euro.dell.com/.../category.aspx

At the dell page ordering a DELL XPS 15 i cannot see the TB15 docking there aswell only the WD15..
Are they up to some new docking station? :S

July 11th, 2016 10:00

I'm not sure what the difference was supposed to be between thunderbolt firmware version 2.16.01.003 ,A04 released on July 6th and thunderbolt firmware version 2.16.01.003 ,A04 released on July 8th.   Or what the difference is between the thunderbolt 3 driver version 16.1.47.275 ,A02 released on July 6th and version 16.1.47.275 ,A02 released on July 8th.  Exact same version numbers, slightly different file size on the Controller driver.

The fixes and enhancement list is also rather funny:

Fixes & Enhancements

Fixes
- Not Applicable.

Enhancements
- Enhancement customer experience with Thunderbolt firmware update procedure.
- Enable new feature support to Dell Command Update (DCU2.2).

...Dell is worried about the user experience of the firmware update PROCEDURE.... not whether or not they actually fixed anything.

The long and short of if it though is this.  In the last week we have a new video driver, BIOS and multiple releases of the TB3 firmware and drivers.  It still doesn't work.  If anything my system has moved backwards.  I used to be fairly stable with WiFi set to 75%, Startech TB32DP2 with 4K connected.

Since the update:

- the external display on TB3 port will disconnect every couple of hours

- clicking on some tray icons instantly disconnects the thunderbolt port.  This is repeatable.

- laptop display flickers from time to time.  With and without external monitor connected.  (this is a new issue for me)

11 Posts

July 11th, 2016 11:00

At flamesfan2635,

I saw the same thing this morning that the update date changed to July 8 and looks like nothing has changed in the driver or firmware version.

But, how to I check what is actually installed? There is no mention of Thunderbolt listed in Device Manager so can't tell what is actually installed. Other than the fact I updated them after July 6 and before July 8

37 Posts

July 11th, 2016 11:00

At flamesfan2635,

I saw the same thing this morning that the update date changed to July 8 and looks like nothing has changed in the driver or firmware version.

But, how to I check what is actually installed? There is no mention of Thunderbolt listed in Device Manager so can't tell what is actually installed. Other than the fact I updated them after July 6 and before July 8

As far as I can tell, the Thunderbolt chip won't show up in device manager until you actually connect an external Thunderbolt device to it.  However, the update app will find it either way.

July 21st, 2016 06:00

Hi, I also have a top spec Precision 5510 and two TB15 both exposing the mentioned problems. According to support, they are working on a solution that probably includes replacing hardware. In Germany you can choose to return the TB15 or enlist for a replacement unit once its out. What is utterly disappointing is the communication of Dell about these issues. The could save everybody countless hours of useless fiddling with drivers etc. if they would clearly communicate a recall of the device and how you can give it back and/or enlist for a replacement.

Regards

Erwin

15 Posts

July 21st, 2016 11:00

Update TB15 and WD15 and 5510 Version 21-07-2016

To make things easier I put the links so you do not need to search al drivers etc.

I wonder why Dell do not communicate  at this way. After that myTb15 works almost perfect. Please let me know if this is also with you guys!

Dell Thunderbolt™ Dock (TB15) Installation Guide for Latitude E5570 / 7275 / 7370 / Precision 3510 / 5510 / 7510 / 7710 / XPS 15-9550 / XPS 13-9350 & XPS 12-9250

The latest BIOS, drivers and Firmware can be downloaded at the Dell Support website (www.dell.com/support). Dell highly recommends installing the following BIOS / Drivers step by step in the prescribed order to ensure optimal performance. Failure to install BIOS, drivers and Firmware in this document may result in undesirable performance.

1.       Connect the AC adapter to the Dell Thunderbolt™ Dock (TB15) and then connect the Thunderbolt™ 3 (Type-C) connector to the computer.

2.       Search your system model name under Select a Product selection or enter the service tag of your system to locate Drivers & downloads page on the Dell Support website (www.dell.com/support). Change the OS to view all available updates for your system.

3.       Flash the latest Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) available for the system. This is posted in the "BIOS" section.

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03800318M/1/Precision_5510_1.2.10.exe (Version 05-07-2016)

NOTE: Restart the system before the next step.

4.       Install the Intel Thunderbolt Controller Driver available for the system. This is posted under the "Docks & Stands" section.

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03509216M/3/Chipset_Driver_8J86F_WN32_15.3.39.250_A01.EXE (Version 28-04-2016)

5.       Install the Intel Thunderbolt 3 Firmware Update. available for the system. This is posted under the "Docks & Stands" section.

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03541997M/1/Intel_TBT3_FW_UPDATE_NVM15_A02_02.11.06.exe (Version 28-04-2016)

6.       Install the Intel HD Graphics Driver available for the system. This is posted in the "Video" section.

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03760984M/2/Video_Driver_FK4F6_WN32_20.19.15.4454_A06.EXE (Version 29-06-2016)

7.       Install the ASMedia USB 3.0 Extended Host Controller for Dell Thunderbolt™ Dock available for the system. . This is posted under the "Docks & Stands" section.

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03578208M/1/Chipset_Driver_YM9TJ_WN32_1.16.33.1_A02.EXE (Version 30-03-2016)

8.       Install the ASMedia USB 3.0 Extended Host Firmware Utility available for the system. This is posted under the "Docks & Stands" section.

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03771609M/5/USB_Utility_ASMedia_A00_WIN_H43H3_ZPE.exe (Version 21-06-2016)

9. Realtek USB GBE Ethernet Controller Driver

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03487951M/1/Network_Driver_CFXPV_WN64_2.43.2015.1225_A01.EXE (Version 08-06-2016)

9b.       Install the Realtek USB GBE Ethernet Controller Driver for the Dell Thunderbolt™ Dock and Dell Dock available for the system in the "Docks & Stands" section.

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03520011M/7/Docks_Stands_Driver_9YCY0_WN64_2.43.2015.1225_A01_02.EXE (Version 29-04-2016)

10.   Install the Realtek USB Audio Driver for the Dell Thunderbolt™ Dock and Dell Dock available for the system in the "Docks & Stands" section.

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03613504M/1/Audio_Driver_GG4M6_WN32_6.3.9600.44_A02.Exe (Version 28-04-2016)

11.   Install the Dell Dock Firmware Update Tool (expected to be available to download by August 2016) for the system in the "Docks & Stands" section.

NOTE: After the update process completes, it’s desired to shut down the computer and perform below steps in order to make the new firmware take effect.

1.       Power off the system.

2.       Disconnect the Thunderbolt 3 (Type-C) cable from the computer and then remove the AC adapter of TB15 dock from the power outlet.

3.       Then follow the recommended steps of connecting the AC adapter to the TB15 dock first and then attaching the Thunderbolt cable to the computer.

4.       Power on the computer with the docking station connected.

13 Posts

July 25th, 2016 02:00

Very clear, thanks for doing this.

I think I got to this stage myself and found the dock ok. The only thing not perfect is the external keyboard and/or mouse does not always re-connect properly on resume from sleep (they are connected, together with ethernet via the dock)

However, i think unrelated, the most recent windows 10 update pushed out on about the 12th July, 2 days after I got the dock working as above,  caused BSOD about every 30 mins when the XPS15 was not being used. Two remote support sessions from Dell fixed this by updating a few system drivers (nothing to do with the TB15)

13 Posts

August 22nd, 2016 10:00

Well everything has been mostly ok for about 2 months with the new drivers, the only problem is when resuming from sleep I usually have to unplug/replug the external keyboard

UNTILL TODAY

Te forced Windows 10 anniversary update has completely screwed it up. No ports, no wired ethernet, no network shares seen.

The 3 latest TB15 drivers listed wont install under this build either.

Ive had to do the recovery option revert top previous build to get things working again.

No Events found!