Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

5 Posts

January 26th, 2009 10:00

Time sync

I have an Inspiron E1405 and McAfee.  I cannot get my clock to work.  I have tried everything in the drop down box.   I am a computer novice.  Can someone help.

3.6K Posts

January 26th, 2009 15:00

Single click on the clock icon>select"change date and time settings"at bottom of screen>internet time tab>click "synchronize with internet time".

If this does not fix it,the CMOS battery might need to be replaced.

5 Posts

January 28th, 2009 08:00

Everyone tells me to do this and I have tried over and over and  this is what I get              an error occured when windows was syncronizing with.......    This error message occurs everytime I try any of the ones in the drop down box.

2.9K Posts

January 28th, 2009 10:00

When you get that error, have you tried that same time server again? I often get that message, but when I try a second time (right after the error message appears), everything works.

3.6K Posts

January 28th, 2009 11:00

Then it is either one of two problems,the CMOS battery needs replacing,or your battery needs replacing.

5 Posts

January 28th, 2009 21:00

I don't use my computer on battery.  It is always plugged in.

5 Posts

January 28th, 2009 21:00

Yes, I have tried it over and over.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 28th, 2009 22:00

What Rebel9 was saying is there is a battery on the circuit board the size of a quarter that keeps the clock and settings. He thinks the battery might be bad.

I had an issue with my Inspiron B130 with the clock sync. Here is what I did to get it working again. First make backup copies of files and folders that you cannot afford to lose. This should be a normal practice.

Insert the operating system disk and restart your computer.

Press any key to boot from CD.

Choose install

Do the agreement

Now choose repair.

Since the operating system was re-installed did you remember to go to drivers and downloads, enter your service tag(DO NOT POST SERVICE TAG here or your post will get deleted, since it contains your personal information), and install these drivers in this order.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software
Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Video
Audio (sound)
Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
Modem
Network Card

Now go to Windows updates and get all the updates. I have the custom ones too. Especially the .net framework needed to run many applications. Also get the latest Java.

Now does the clock sync?

Rick

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 29th, 2009 14:00

If the clock losing time, then you probably do need to replace the motherboard battery, as was suggested. Are you connected to the internet when you're trying to sync the time? Is McAfee (or a separate firewall) blocking Windows from accessing any of the time servers?

You didn't say whether you have XP or Vista on this system. :emotion-5:

If it's XP:

Click Start>run

Type in: services.msc

Click OK

A window will open with the  list of Microsoft Services. Look for Windows Time on the list. If the Startup Type is not set to Automatic, double-click Windows Time and change the Startup Type to Automatic.  Do not change anything else! Close the window and reboot.  Assuming you're connected to the net automatically on boot (eg, through a network, DSL, etc), it should automatically sync the clock. I presume Vista has similar features, but I don't use Vista, so can't give you specifics.

Ron

5 Posts

January 29th, 2009 20:00

I am on Vista.  I have the clock set to automatically sync on a schedule.  But it always gets an error that I mentioned before.  I am on DSL and always connected.  I do have McAfee and I am assuming that it is blocking ths auto sync but, I don't know how to get it not to block it.

No Events found!