Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 21st, 2016 15:00

Touch screen turns off when lid is closed/reopened

Hey there,

I have a Inpsiron 15 7559 with touch screen. This usually works fine, however when i close the laptop lid and reopen it, the touch screen stops working. 

I have to disable then re enable the driver in device manager to make it work again.

I have tried 'allow this device to wake the computer' as that was the only suggestion i could find on the web, but this does not work.

Any ideas?

Thanks

8 Posts

November 4th, 2016 17:00

I forget which one i updated, chipset or serial ATA drivers, but it seemed to work!

Strange how these don't appear under the Dell update application that comes with the pc, oh well,

thanks everyone! :)

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 22nd, 2016 08:00

:emotion-2:

I'd suggest you uncheck the box ( Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power) in USB device properties - Device Manager).

www.dell.com/.../en

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 22nd, 2016 08:00

If unchecking the box doesn't work then I suggest you update System Firmware in device manager.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 22nd, 2016 09:00

Lastly.....

You can run System Restore tool on your computer to go back to a earlier point of time before touch screen problem.

8 Posts

October 23rd, 2016 03:00

Hey,

Thanks for your reply. I have gone through them all, except the first as USB device does not show for me. Sadly it still turns off randomly after a few lid closes.

I havent had the laptop that long so i dont think system restore can do much.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 23rd, 2016 09:00

Please check if the latest windows updates are installed. At left bottom of taskbar, please click windows logo, click Settings, Update & security  > Windows Update , and then select Check for updates. Install any available updates and restart your PC if required.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 23rd, 2016 09:00

A few more suggestions here:

At left bottom of taskbar, right click windows logo, click Power Options, "Choose What Closing The Lid Does",  change all settings to "Do Nothing", click "save changes", and then restart computer. Please go back to Power Options and reset settings back to sleep. Hopefully touch screen problem is fix now.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 23rd, 2016 10:00

" I havent had the laptop that long so I....."

Lastly......

You can contact Dell Technical for further assistance in link below. Keep in mind, you have 30 days from invoice date to return it and then order a new one. If this is a software issue, you also have 30 days of software support.

www.dell.com/.../Contact-Information

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 23rd, 2016 10:00

Please type Troubleshooting Control Panel onto [Cortana] search box, click View All, and then"Hardware & Devices". You can click on System Maintenance and Power as well.

8 Posts

October 23rd, 2016 21:00

hey there,

Checked all those as well - no luck unfortunately - its about 6 weeks old now so outside those time frames. Its been happening since the first week, i just didnt think much of it at the time.

Putting the computer to sleep seems to turn the touch screen back on as well.

Something about closing the lid disables it (most of the time). its very strange

Thanks

1 Message

October 26th, 2016 12:00

I have the same issue and have tried a number of solutions related to power option and putting the Touch Screen HID device to sleep which has not improved anything. I'm sure that this is a Windows 10 software issue and not a Dell hardware issue unless it's a driver interaction issue.  Still, no apparent solution.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 27th, 2016 07:00

I'd suggest you update BIOS and see if that makes a difference:

https://youtu.be/mWn9YfxtYBo

After you updated BIOS then I suggest you update Chipset and Serial ATA drivers in correct order:

www.dell.com/.../EN

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 27th, 2016 08:00

You can post the same question on the Microsoft community forum and see if they can help you resolve the touch screen problem.

answers.microsoft.com/.../

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 5th, 2016 07:00

Glad your computer is fix now. Thanks for the update.

No Events found!