Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 4th, 2013 11:00

Touchpad and Keyboard issues - Inspiron 15 3521 K 92

Hello,

I purchased an INSPIRON 15 3521 K 92 Model (4GB RAM/500GB/Win 8/2GB Graphic Card) two weeks back. Till date it worked fine. However, for last two days its touchpad and the touchpad keys have stopped working completely. Moreover, at times I had to restart the laptop as the keyboard stopped working suddenly. I did reinstall the touchpad driver from dell.com; however, still the problems persist. The name of the touchpad is also missing from the Device Manager listings. I am not sure what the problem is. May I get any help in this regard? I sincerely appreciate your support. 

The service tag is Service tag removed per privacy policy>

Thank you, 

Omkar

July 4th, 2013 12:00

Hi Omkar,

Please remove the service tag from public view for security reasons.

Inspiron 3521 is shipped with synaptics touchpad. You may press +  on keyboard to enable or disable the touchpad.

As you already have tried updating the driver, I would suggest you to uninstall the touchpad driver from Control Panel -> Uninstall a program and restart the computer.

Upon restart, you may try updating the touchpad drivers from Here. Follow the onscreen instructions and restart the computer when prompted.

If the issue persists, please share a screenshot of device manager with Mice and other Pointing Devices category expanded.

Also for the keyboard issue, I would suggest you to try reseating the keyboard (if comfortable) and see if it helps. You may refer to Owner's Manual Here for step by step instructions for reseating keyboard.

Note : Please follow the safety instructions in Owner's Manual before replacing/installing parts.

Please reply if you have any further questions.

2 Posts

July 4th, 2013 20:00

Dear Sandeep,

Thank you for the reply. I did uninstall/install the touchpad driver twice based on your suggestion. However, the touchpad is still not working. I am attaching a screenshot of the control panel. Kindly suggest.

Thank you,

Omkar

July 5th, 2013 13:00

Hi Omkar,

It appears you are using an external mouse with the system. You may try enabling the touchpad using touchpad application :

1. Double click the touchpad icon in the system tray (Bottom right hand corner of screen)
  2. Enable it on the application window by clicking Touchpad On/Off.

After enabling the touchpad, you may disconnect the external mouse and see if you are able to use the touchpad.

If you are unable to use the touchpad, I would suggest you to run diagnostics on system hardware. You may follow the steps below :

• Turn the computer off and disconnect external mouse
  • Power on the system
  • Press F12 when you see Dell logo
  • Highlight Diagnostics and press Enter
  • Let the diagnostics run and note down error message (if any)
  • The Touchpad/Mouse will be non–functional when the test is in progress. This is as per design.
  • Once the diagnostics are complete, check if you are able to use the touchpad to move the mouse cursor

If you are unable to use the touchpad, it might be an issue related to hardware as the touchpad is not being detected. In that case touchpad might need replacement. Please share the system service tag and name on account via Private Message (Click on my name and click start conversation). Will look into the details and determine further course of action.

1 Message

September 18th, 2014 10:00

Hi,

So my touchpad "works" in the sense that it does seem to move themouse around.  However, the mouse moves very jittery and actually is very difficult to position on top of small buttons on the computer.  This is a horrible user experience and makes me want to simply throw this computer away.

Has anyone else had this problem?  I've tried updating the drivers from support.dell.com but there are so many and they crash so frequently during install, that I have also given up doing that.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

1 Message

September 2nd, 2016 04:00

I have also same problem as cmcezee has faced. Due to  not working of touchpad in my laptop dell  inspiron 3521  and also it is not properly workable even by use with mouse because of  hanging of laptop. I had given to dell service center they tell to change a keyboard and it costly 2850/- however i want to know that after changing of laptop whether it is properly workabale without any hang ?

Please reply me it will help to me for correct decision.

Thanks,

Bhargav

2 Posts

March 24th, 2017 02:00

I have the same problem you have. I even had trouble trying to like your comment! Lol

No Events found!