Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 27th, 2017 04:00

Trackpad issue on XPS 13 9360 with Linux Mint

Since I got my XPS 13 9360, the trackpad is virtually impossible to use: the pointer jumps everywhere, the text gets selected (and even deleted), some programs quit suddenly because the "ghost" pointer clicked on the terminate cross, etc.

It has become impossible to use except in very dedicated usages (e.g., only using the keyboard without the trackpad)… or installing a separate mouse, which is really stupid for such a computer that could be used anywhere (e.g. on a train) and where the mouse becomes a real hassle. (And, come on, using a mouse is so 1990s.)

I tried numerous solutions, including creating file /etc/modprobe.d/xps13-9360.conf and adding blacklist psmouse (as mentioned here), but nothing seems to work.

I use Linux Mint, but the problem occurred as early as the fresh Ubuntu system I received; in fact, during the very first boot of the computer during the customization of Ubuntu, the pointer got crazy, which made me install rather Linux Mint (where the system unfortunately still shows up).

Note that I realized that the pointer gets crazy mostly when doing "drag and drop". It seems that standard moves and clicks will not produce the bug.

Exact Dell version is XPS 13 i7-8Go-256Go-Ubuntu

The system is Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya xfce.

Command uname -a gives 4.10.0-35-generic #39~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Wed Sep 13 09:02:42 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

No Responses!
No Events found!