Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

4 Posts

April 1st, 2004 14:00

Transfer Files From Desktop Windows 95 to Inspiron 8600 Windows XP

What cable do I need to buy to transfer files from my old desktop Windows 95 to my Inspiron 8600 Windows XP?  I tried a Belkin parallel cable for WIndows 95 using the "transfer wizard" but it didn't work.  The cables/systems I found work with '95 or XP, but not together.  Would really appreciate your help!

412 Posts

April 1st, 2004 15:00

If you have a network card in the older system, I'd use a Cat5 crossover cable and WinXp's networking to set up a peer-to-peer network and transfer files through shared folders.  The Networking Wizard in XP will help you with the setup of this.  Have you used the XP disc in the older system?  There is a utility on it to install the appropriate drivers/settings for compatibilty with machines running XP.

JK

Message Edited by jk79 on 04-01-2004 12:02 PM

34 Posts

April 1st, 2004 18:00

If you don't ahve a network card in the older computer, does it have a USB Port?  If it does then you can get a cable at Comp USA that connects the 2 computers via the USB ports.  It'l cost ya about $15.00 to $20.00 for this set up.  that is how I transfer a lot of files between 2 computers and this seems to be about the best as you don't have to play with network settings etc.

Mike

4 Posts

April 1st, 2004 22:00

I don't have a network card on the old system, but thank you very much for your answer.  I really appreciate it!

4 Posts

April 1st, 2004 23:00

I do have USB ports on both systems.  I'm wondering if this set-up will work using the "transfer wizard."  How do you select/transfer files without a (going to sound like a Dummy here!) wizard or program with instructions?  What is your process after connecting the USB ports?  Many thanks again!

1 Message

April 2nd, 2004 03:00

re hooking up a new lattitude windows xp to an existing home network (2 other computers=1 xp and 1 windows me):  5 hours ago i took my win 2000 laptop off my network (working perfectly) and hooked up the new xp machine.

it does not see the other network computers and they don't see it.  also, new machine does not see my dsl router to get me onto the internet.

ran the network setup wizard on both computers, but no help.

the network card is fine on the new computer and the green light is on, etc., so no problem with physical connection.

using dynamically assigned ip addresses, so no problem with ip addresses.

appreciate advice as to settings, etc. which should be applied and troubleshooting to see what needs to be reconfigured.  grateful if you are as specific as possible.

34 Posts

April 2nd, 2004 14:00

The cable comes with some software for that purpose.

You run the program on both computers and you can move files from 1 to the other.  It looks like a Windows Explorer window.  It works great for all kinds of files except for programs. 

You will hve to install them from the CD's that you have.

Hope this helps a bit.

mcgd

No Events found!