Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 13th, 2012 17:00

Transfer of ownership

So I've done my own troubleshooting on my recently defective laptop and managed to isolate the problem, but now Dell requires me to 'transfer ownership', which takes 10-15 days. So for 10-15 days, I am not able to use the laptop, which by the way, is really good but I am not impressed at the support service. 

1. When my warranty was activated, why was I not prompted to 'transfer ownership'? Why is this even required? It seems ridiculous that I have to prove that I have the laptop. If I do not genuinely have the laptop, I would not be able to troubleshoot over the phone. If Dell sends a technician over to perform on-site repair, and I do not genuinely have the laptop, does he not just walk out and know that I'm a fraud?? On the other hand, if I do genuinely possess the laptop, it HAS to be mine, or regardless of the ownership, Dell should provide support service to me. 

Dell has done a sufficiently good job at making a laptop that only gave me a serious enough problem 1 year and 2 days after I bought it. Why wait until now to tell me to 'transfer ownership' when it can just pop up upon startup like the Dell backup thing? 

Suggestion: remind users to 'transfer ownership' immediately after they purchase the product. This can be done by incorporating the process into the warranty activation or a program to prompt the user on startup. Making them wait longer after it has broken down is not going to pacify the customer. 

2. Why does transfer of ownership take 10-15 days? Is it such a complex process? I'm sure Dell can do better than this and reduce(or aim to) it to 3-4 days. I am unable to suggest a solution unless I actually know what the process is so don't think I am spamming. 

Has anyone else had this issue?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

June 13th, 2012 17:00

Transfer of ownership does not apply to computer bought from Dell directly. It only applies to computers bought from a reseller that are still under warranty. Also applies to computers purchased in one country and moved to another. If you are the original owner, bought from Dell and still live in the US, a transfer is not necessary. Perhaps your original warranty has expired. Contact Support again to find out.

No Events found!