Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 2nd, 2014 18:00

Trouble Device Drivers--Download OK, but Install stops at 98%

Specs: Inspiron N5110 Laptop, Microsoft 7 Home Premium, 64-bit

Problem:

I'm struggling to install driver updates on my system.

1) I googled and landed at Drivers and Download - Dell, product support linked to my service tag

2) I elected to find drivers based on system analysis, which found 7 drivers.

3) I clicked the install button and when prompted to select a folder for downloads, I made one on my desktop.

4) Drivers are successfully download and installs precede to 98% complete every.single.time. I've tried this about 6 times over the last two/three days, and let the installer run for up to three hours at a time. Still can't get past 98%. No error message shown.

Any advice to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.

332 Posts

July 2nd, 2014 21:00

Hi Ms. Micaceous

Thankyou for writing on the Dell Community Forum.

I would suggest to try installing the driver in Safe Mode with Networking and check. Follow the below steps to boot the system into Safe Mode with networking.

1.    Restart the computer.
2.    As the computer boots, press when the Dell Splash Screen appears.
3.    Scroll down to option ‘Safe mode with networking’ and Click on ‘Enter’ button.
4.    This will boot you into the safe mode.

Let us know your findings.

July 2nd, 2014 21:00

Farooq, hi,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I had even less success in Safe Mode. Here's what happened:

1-Booted in safe mode with networking. Went to the Dell driver download page. Ran system analysis that prompted me to download Dell System Detect.

2-Downloaded Dell System Detect, but I couldn't open the file/complete the install. I was prompted with a dialog box that said it was verifying my system--this flashed quickly, then nothing. A working icon (four black/gray boxes) appeared to continue processing overlayed on the webpage, but no download displayed in task manager and CPU use was 0%-1%. I waited a few minutes--no change.

3-I right clicked and tried to open the .exe as an admin, though I was logged in as a user with admin privileges the whole time. Same response. 

3-Right clicked on .exe file and verified system compatibility. Said the program was for Windows XP, SP3 (my OS is Windows 7, SP1). Clicked the button to run the program anyway and not surprisingly, nothing happened. Clicked next and got a list of compatible OS; Windows 7 was not among them.

Back to square one.

I'll reiterate that I've been able to download the driver files in normal mode (see OP), but I haven't attempted to open the .exe files manually when the auto-install failed to finish because I'm not sure what the proper order would be to install these drivers manually. Poking around the forums a bit makes me think the order is important. Also, the directions I could find (http://support.us.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/downloads/en/driver_install_order?c=us&l=en&cs=19&DoNotRedirect=y) didn't include BIOS drivers in the ordering.

The downloaded the drivers are:

Audio_IDT_W7_A03_Setup-8H18M_ZPE

R292194

R305170

R309746 

Vedio_Intel_W84_X00_A01_Setup-5PFY2_ZPE

Video_AMD_W7W8_A01_Setup-HC6HJ_ZPE

Thanks for helping my continued troubleshoot!

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 4th, 2014 04:00

Thank you! This worked. I especially appreciated you link.

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/downloading-drivers-checking-hardware-ids-and-downloading-and-installing-dell-system-drivers-in-the-correct-order/driver-installation/

Cheers!

Thanks for posting back regarding your success. I'm glad you found my guide useful. :)

No Events found!