Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 18th, 2012 16:00

Trying to get a Reistallation disk for my laptop with no success

I have a similar problem with my Dell Inspiron M5030. The hard drive recently went bad and it is no longer in warranty  and I have to buy a new hard drive. I too needed to reinstall windows but do not have a restore disk. I called Dell Tech Support to order a restore disk but was told that they could not help me because the place of purchase I told them did not match what they had in their system. He then transferred me to customer care and was told the same thing, When I got home I attempted to order the disk through online chat and again was told because it was not in warranty they could not help thru chat and to contact Tech Support thru the phone. I know this disk only cost about 30 dollars and a new hard drive is about 50 dollars, and now the cost is going to be 250 dollars for a new hard drive and to purchase a copy of Windows 7 from a retail store. I cannot even email the company about this because my laptop is out of warranty so this is the only place I could think of to try to get someones attention. This laptop was a gift to my daughter to use for school and she is now without a computer. I would like to let everyone on here know that I will never again buy a Dell product and will tell my family and friends the same thing. Job well done on losing a customer. Now I would like to know how long it will take for me to here back from a company rep.

4 Posts

September 18th, 2012 17:00

link is coming back with error 500 and does not open

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

jmarlowe,

If you live in the United States, Request Backup Disks USA if in another Country, contact Dell tech Support in your Country.

Rick

4 Posts

NVM got it to work, thank you, hopefully that will help

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 24th, 2012 10:00

If your warranty is out they may require a fee to provide the media.

Register the Dell in your name and then Update the warranty.

http://www.dell.com/register

Then ask for recovery media.

How this works depends on what country you are in.

After an OS goes to End of Life DELL cannot Send media.

XP is coming up on that VERY SOON.

No Events found!