Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 1st, 2012 18:00

Turn off my XPS 13 Trackpad

Seriously sick of randomly clicking because my hands are too fat.  I know that my previous dell had an option where it would automatically shut off the trackpad if an external mouse was detected.  Is that available on the 13?

2 Posts

November 18th, 2016 18:00

For my Win 10 XPS 13

In search, type in "touchpad." That brings up mouse and touchpad settings.

Use these settings:

Touchpad: On

Leave touchpad on when a mouse is connected: Off

With these settings, the touchpad works when no mouse is connected, and is automatically disabled when a mouse is connected.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 1st, 2012 19:00

Hi,

Welcome to the community

Please try the following steps ;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDxmy0Mi2Hc

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E9s8bslYkE

Regards,

1 Message

April 10th, 2013 03:00

Hi Fishbone10,

I know this is late but hopefully you or others will find this useful.

The XPS13 has a Cypress Trackpad. If you install the latest Touchpad drivers you have two options:

1) Turn off the touchpad completely (you can turn on/off as required)
2) Turn off the touchpad automatically when you connect an external mouse

For option 1):
Click Start --> Type 'mouse' and open mouse settings
Click "Cypress Trackpad" tab
Click "Click to change Cypress Trackpad Settings"
When the Dell Mouse app opens, click the "Trackpad On/Off" toggle button (coloured green)

For option 2):
Click Start --> Type 'mouse' and open mouse settings
Click "Cypress Trackpad" tab
Click "Click to change Cypress Trackpad Settings"
When the Dell Mouse app opens, click the Mouse picture at top of the window (it will be on the trackpad section by default)
Tick the "Disable Trackpad when USB mouse is present" option

Don't worry if you have a Bluetooth/Wifi mouse, it includes these mice also even though it states "USB mouse".
Hope this helps :)

1 Message

September 23rd, 2013 17:00

I have been fighting palm rejection and erroneous clicks from my Cypress Trackpad from day one with my XPS 13.  I recently updated to the latest driver to no avail.  I normally use a bluetooth mouse connected via USB dongle and whether I select disable when external mouse is detected, or whether I select disable trackpad completely, it does nothing.  This is frustrating to no end.  Dell, please help!!?

3 Posts

April 18th, 2014 14:00

For me, if I check off "Disable trackpad when USB mouse is present" it just disables the trackpad regardless whether my USB Logitech Anywhere MX mouse is plugged in or not.

Really poor that there isn't a hardware button to enable/disable trackpad! FN-F7 could have been used seeing as it's unused!

Not happy about this one single bit!

16 Posts

November 13th, 2014 04:00

Yeah, Dell really screwed this trackpad issue up...and this is just one of the MANY problems with this poorly planned and poorly executed laptop. 

I have the same problem as Skychan: The trackpad works fine when it's set to always be on, but it sucks so back that I don't want that.  I want it on only when I'm not using a mouse...as a last resort.  When I click on the contingent behavior to turn off the trackpad when a mouse is plugged in, it just disables is completely, i.e., even after I unplug the mouse.  I looked in my device manager and saw two other HID-compliant mouse items.  I don't know what devices they are supposed to be but after disabling them the Dell still couldn't detect that there was no mouse attached and so should activate the trackpad.

And of course nobody from Dell has been willing or able to address the issue. 

1 Message

March 8th, 2017 03:00

Thanks Saki33, this did it for me.

7 Posts

December 17th, 2017 11:00

Perfect.  I prefer using a mouse anyway.  So I love that the trackpad is only active in  the event that the mouse is not connected.

Thanks

No Events found!