Laptops General - Read Only

Last reply by 08-18-2016 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Turn on/off touchpad with hotkey for Dell XPS 13 (XPS L322X)

Hi,

Is it possible to turn off and on the touchpad  with a hotkey?

Thanks!

//Karl

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I have a Dell XPS 13 and this has bugged me for a year. I've finally fixed it though, via a registry command line:

To turn the trackpad off, run 

reg add "HKCU\Software\Cypress TrackPad Driver\Device Select" /v EnableTrackPad /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

To turn the trackpad on, run 

reg add "HKCU\Software\Cypress TrackPad Driver\Device Select" /v EnableTrackPad /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Note that turning the trackpad off shows a slight delay in it taking effect.

To automate these commands, save each command to a batch file, e.g. turnoff.bat, turnon.bat, then you can run them from either the windows run command (Window key + start typing path to the bat file) or via a short-cut app, like slickrun.

View solution in original post

Replies (11)
4 Beryllium

Hi Karl,

XPS 13 does not have a hot key to disable the touch pad. However, you can disable it from the touch pad application installed on your system.

1. Right-click the touchpad icon in the taskbar in desktop view.
  2. Select Touchpad Properties.
  3. Turn Touchpad On or Off as per the need.
Please reply for any further questions.

Thanks and Regards,
Vikram M
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to 
Here

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have seen that setting, it is also possible to do the same in the computer settings.

The problem i have a would like to a hoykey...

I did try to write a script but a cannot find the correct windows command that turns it on/off.

Any snuggest?

Regards

Karl

4 Beryllium

Hi Karl,

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, this system does not have a hot key to turn off the touch pad.

Please reply for any further clarifications.

Thanks and Regards,
Vikram M
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to 
Here

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi,

it most be possible to create a script or create a hotkey that will do we same...

Any tips?

Dell do not have a program where it is possible to create your own hotkeys?

Regards

Karl  

4 Beryllium

Hi Karl,

Dell does not have any programs to create hot keys. I did some research and found the video. You may want to refer to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ErNQz5PC73c

Please reply for any further questions.

Thanks and Regards,
Vikram M
#iworkfordell
Here

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Thanks, i have been investigating a solution with AutoHotKey but the issue i have is that I cannot find the correct command.

I did also try to create a solution where I did change in the windows register direct but for some reason that did not work.  

I hope maybe that you have the command that the trackpad program use (instead of the windows command)

Thanks for your help!

//Karl

4 Beryllium

Hi Karl,

Unfortunately, we do not have that information. The only option to disable the touch pad on this system is from the touch pad utility.

Please reply for any clarifications.

Thanks and Regards,
Vikram M
#iworkfordell
Here

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Sad.  I had to find another mouse. 

You should really expose an API - even if only to turn on the touchpad.

thanks,

Sam

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I have a Dell XPS 13 and this has bugged me for a year. I've finally fixed it though, via a registry command line:

To turn the trackpad off, run 

reg add "HKCU\Software\Cypress TrackPad Driver\Device Select" /v EnableTrackPad /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

To turn the trackpad on, run 

reg add "HKCU\Software\Cypress TrackPad Driver\Device Select" /v EnableTrackPad /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Note that turning the trackpad off shows a slight delay in it taking effect.

To automate these commands, save each command to a batch file, e.g. turnoff.bat, turnon.bat, then you can run them from either the windows run command (Window key + start typing path to the bat file) or via a short-cut app, like slickrun.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor