Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 2nd, 2013 06:00

Turn on/off touchpad with hotkey for Dell XPS 13 (XPS L322X)

Hi,

Is it possible to turn off and on the touchpad  with a hotkey?

Thanks!

//Karl

1 Message

April 22nd, 2014 14:00

I have a Dell XPS 13 and this has bugged me for a year. I've finally fixed it though, via a registry command line:

To turn the trackpad off, run 

reg add "HKCU\Software\Cypress TrackPad Driver\Device Select" /v EnableTrackPad /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

To turn the trackpad on, run 

reg add "HKCU\Software\Cypress TrackPad Driver\Device Select" /v EnableTrackPad /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Note that turning the trackpad off shows a slight delay in it taking effect.

To automate these commands, save each command to a batch file, e.g. turnoff.bat, turnon.bat, then you can run them from either the windows run command (Window key + start typing path to the bat file) or via a short-cut app, like slickrun.

1.1K Posts

March 2nd, 2013 17:00

Hi Karl,

XPS 13 does not have a hot key to disable the touch pad. However, you can disable it from the touch pad application installed on your system.

1. Right-click the touchpad icon in the taskbar in desktop view.
  2. Select Touchpad Properties.
  3. Turn Touchpad On or Off as per the need.
Please reply for any further questions.

4 Posts

March 3rd, 2013 00:00

Hi,

it most be possible to create a script or create a hotkey that will do we same...

Any tips?

Dell do not have a program where it is possible to create your own hotkeys?

Regards

Karl  

1.1K Posts

Hi Karl,

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, this system does not have a hot key to turn off the touch pad.

Please reply for any further clarifications.

4 Posts

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have seen that setting, it is also possible to do the same in the computer settings.

The problem i have a would like to a hoykey...

I did try to write a script but a cannot find the correct windows command that turns it on/off.

Any snuggest?

Regards

Karl

1.1K Posts

March 3rd, 2013 21:00

Hi Karl,

Dell does not have any programs to create hot keys. I did some research and found the video. You may want to refer to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ErNQz5PC73c

Please reply for any further questions.

4 Posts

March 4th, 2013 11:00

Thanks, i have been investigating a solution with AutoHotKey but the issue i have is that I cannot find the correct command.

I did also try to create a solution where I did change in the windows register direct but for some reason that did not work.  

I hope maybe that you have the command that the trackpad program use (instead of the windows command)

Thanks for your help!

//Karl

1.1K Posts

March 5th, 2013 20:00

Hi Karl,

Unfortunately, we do not have that information. The only option to disable the touch pad on this system is from the touch pad utility.

Please reply for any clarifications.

1 Message

June 27th, 2013 18:00

Sad.  I had to find another mouse. 

You should really expose an API - even if only to turn on the touchpad.

thanks,

Sam

1 Message

July 20th, 2014 11:00

Thank you, thank you.  Your registry edit is exactly what I needed.  Much appreciated.  

August 17th, 2016 23:00

I used a workaround that works pretty well.   Not very elegant, but gets the job done.  The file paths in the example below can obviously be edited to your liking.

1. Create a folder in C:\ and name it "shortcuts".   

2. Open C:\shortcuts folder >> right click >> select "new" >> select "shortcut"

3. A dialogue will appear requesting the shortcut location.  Use:
    ms-settings:mousetouchpad

4. The dialogue will request the shortcut name.  Use:  
    touchpad

5. Install the freeware program autohotkey, use the version available by clicking the download button at the top of the page at their website here.

6. Again, open folder C:\shortcuts >> right click >> select "new" >> select "text document" and rename it as:
    shortcuts

IMPORTANT:  If your file is now named "shortcuts.txt" you're good to go.  If the ".txt" file extension is hidden, follow the instructions here to show file extensions before moving forward.  

7. Open shortcuts.txt with notepad.  Right click on file >> open with... >> notepad

8. Paste the following into notepad exactly as written.  CODE:

#SingleInstance force
    #InstallKeybdHook
    #UseHook

F7::
    Keywait F7
    SetKeyDelay, 150
    Run, C:\shortcuts\touchpad.url
    Sleep, 1500
    Send, {tab}{tab}{tab}{tab}{space}
    Sleep, 500
    Send, {altdown}{F4}{altup}
    exit

9. Save the notepad document and close it.

10. Rename the file you just closed as follows and click "yes" when windows asks if you are sure.
    Original Name:  shortcuts.txt 
    New Name:       shortcuts.ahk

11. Double click on the file.  Press F7.   It works!   Press F7 again. It works again!

FIN

IF IT DIDN'T WORK...probably because...
    You ignored the IMPORTANT note in step #6
    or...
    You did not complete step #5.
    or...
    Your settings dialogue has different options than mine.  Double click on the touchpad shortcut we created in step #4 >> press tab until the Touchpad on/off setting is selected.  Open shortcuts.ahk with notepad, and adjust the number of times tab is repeated in line 10 of the CODE in step #8.
    or...
    Your computer is slow and you should adjust line #9 in the CODE by changing 1500 to 3000   

12. OPTIONAL #1
    If you would like this function every time you use windows, create a shortcut of shortcuts.ahk and copy it to your startup folder, typically located here:
    %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

13. OPTIONAL #2
    If you would like to assign the hotkey to a different F key, change line 5 in CODE from step #8.   If you would like alt+F7 to perform the action, change line 5 to:
    !F7::

No Events found!