Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

S

1 Message

November 20th, 2003 16:00

Type II PC Card in Inspiron 8200?

I want to add a pro sound card to my I8200, and the leading choice (Echo Indigo i/o) requires Type II Card Bus.  Is the I8200 compatible with Type II?  Do I just plug it in or do I need to do something special?

Thanks.

Message Edited by studiorecluse on 11-20-2003 03:28 PM

2.5K Posts

November 21st, 2003 13:00

Studiorecluse,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.
Yes, the system will support a Type-II PC Card.
Here are the PC Card specs:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
CardBus controller
Texas Instruments PCI 4450/4451 CardBus controller
PC Card connector
Supports two Type I or Type II cards or one Type III card)
---------------------------------------------------------------------

6 Posts

November 24th, 2003 17:00

Dear Karell,

Read your comments on the above.  I need some help as well.

Mine is I8100 and I've bought a Hi-Speed USB2.0 Notebook Card which cited a system requirement of 32-bit Type II Cardbus slot.  I tried it on my I8100 and it's installing okay but not coming up with USB 2 port.  Is this not compatible with the adapters which I can see are the Texas Instruments PCI-4451 Cardbus Controller.

I'm afraid I'm no expert in this field and it's frustrating when all you want is get your USB2 Hi-Speed Portable HDD going.

Thanks.

Chris

2.5K Posts

November 24th, 2003 17:00

Ceepee,

What is the brand/model of the card you purchased?

6 Posts

November 24th, 2003 19:00

Karell,

It's Belkin Hi-Speed USB2.0 Notebook Card and it says 'installs easily into any 32-bit TypeII CardBus slot.

Chris

2.5K Posts

November 25th, 2003 12:00

Ceepee,

Ok, when you say "it is not coming up with USB 2.0 ports" what do you mean?
Does the card not show up in device manager?
If you connect devices to the card, do they not show up?
USB device work with the card, but not at USB 2.0 speed?
Does the card include a power adapter?
If so, does it work when you attach the power adapter to it?
What operating system are you using?

If it is a resource conflict, you can try turning off different devices in the bios.
Try turning off things like, parallel port, serial port, infrared port, Smart CPU, ect.
Then see if the card works. If the card works go back into the system bios and turn on one
device at a time, until you find the device that was causing the problem.

6 Posts

November 25th, 2003 17:00

Karell,

In answer to your questions:

The card shows up in device manager but instead of showing USB 2.0 Port Hub, it was showing USB Port Hub.  Devices connected to the card like 128mb storage devices show up alright, with drives allocated to them.  However, when connecting a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Portable HDD, a message appears in 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon that I'm connecting a Hi-Speed device to a non-Hi-Speed device, etc...  Following this, no drive is allocated and I cannot use the storage device (ie the Hi-Speed Portable HDD) at all.

A power adapter is included and it makes no difference.

I'm using XP Pro.

Resource conflict?  How do I go about turning them off without messing my computer about?

The system requirement in the Belkin Hi-Speed USB2.0 Notebook card does read 'PC-compatible laptop computer with available 32-bit Type II CardBus slot'.

Does this mean that my PC card slot is not compatible?

Thanks.

Chris

1 Message

March 20th, 2004 01:00

It was interesting reading your situation.  I just purchased the same Belkin USB2 Type II card  for my Inspiron 8100 laptop.  I haven't taken it out of the packing yet.  Were you able to solve your problems, and how?  Or should I take mine back to the store?    Wavjct
No Events found!