Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 15th, 2017 13:00

USB ports not working

Hi,

Recently my usb ports are not working. To try to fix this I have updated all drivers and BIOS, scanned hardware- No reported issues. No issues noted on Device manager. And I have disabled the power saver settings on the ports. The ports look intact, no broken pins. However, for some reason I can not restore to a previous date, even with anti-virus disabled.

My system is: dell xps 12 ultrabook.

Does anyone know what else I could try?

Thanks in advance.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 17th, 2017 06:00

:emotion-2:

Please run Dell F12 Preboot Diagnostics tool to check hard drive on computer. Please follow steps below:

1. Turn off computer and disconnect all peripherals - printer, flash drive, external drive, etc....).

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping the F12 key continuously. In boot menu, stroll down to diagnostic and then click on it. Report back any error code. Please click on link below:

Running Dell F12 Preboot Diagnostics - YouTube

If there isn't a error code, I suggest you power off system,disconnect all peripherals, and then remove AC adapter. Wait a few minutes, connect adapter and then power on computer. Hopefully USB ports are working again.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 17th, 2017 06:00

Method 2:

I suggest you check for latest windows updates are installed on system. Press windows logo key + R key, type ms-settings:, and then select OK. In Settings, click Update & security, Windows Update, and then select Check for updates. Install any available updates and restart your PC if required. Please don't wait later to schedule update, restart system now. You might have to do the process a few times for all the latest windows updates are installed. Keep in mind, Microsoft provide drivers for you system in their windows updates.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 17th, 2017 07:00

Lastly, Set the BIOS to its Default Settings:

Resetting the BIOS to its default settings will make sure the USB ports are enabled in the BIOS.

1. Power off system.

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping the F2 key continuously. In the BIOS setup, press F9 to load defaults and F10 to save and then Exit

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Method 3:

Please type Troubleshooting Control Panel onto [Cortana] search box, click on 'View All', and then 'Power'. Run the other tools as mark in image below.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

You could try resetting the Hubs.

Open Device Manager and go to the USB section.  Check the Properties on the Root Hubs.  If there is an Advanced tab, open it and see if there is a Reset Hub button.

No Events found!