Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 9th, 2011 06:00

USB problem with laptop

We have an inspiron 6400.  ,  I plugged my IPOD into the USB and got message cannot identify it.  So, I re downloaded the apple software-still had a problem.  Then, tried a flash drive and got the same message.  Tried a memory stick from camera and got nothing at all.

Mother board was replaced last year.  Any suggestions?

3.6K Posts

March 9th, 2011 09:00

Did you install the Ricoh driver??

8 Posts

March 9th, 2011 10:00

Thank you again

I did check and there was no yellow next to the serial bus controllers.  I will be able to follow your steps later-I will let you know.

3.6K Posts

Go to Start>Control Panel>Device Manager.Do you see any yellow (?) next to" Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

If not,uninstall Itunes app.Plug the Ipod into the USB before you install the app.It should install the drivers for it.Once the drivers get installed,install the itunes app.

8 Posts

Thanks but No  didn't.

this all started when I un installed and re installed i tunes becasue the USB was not recognizing the ipod.

I wonder if something changed something when the latest version went in.  I have to double check but I do not think any of my USB's are working now

8 Posts

Yes they were workng.  I probably should have said that in the first post.-sorry, I am new to this

3.6K Posts

O.k i miss understood what you said in first post,i thought you were saying you installed the itunes for the first time and the USB devices were not working.

My next question is were the USB devices recognized and working before this??

8 Posts

March 9th, 2011 11:00

Sorry to be a pest but one more question-would be easier to re install the USB drivers?  I do have the installation CD?

3.6K Posts

March 9th, 2011 11:00

Your not a pest that is what the forum is for help.

If you want to go that route,but you first need to un-install the Ricoh driver,then re-install it.Not sure if that will help though as you said the USB devices were working before this.My daughter has a hard time with itunes on our dell laptops too.

8 Posts

March 9th, 2011 12:00

I never installed a ricoh driver but I will do as you suggest.    Like I said-I'll try it later.

Do you think this will fix all the drivers?

If I could, I would restore back but hubby made many changes since then.  It would have been easier an dfaster for me just to re load my cd's into my desktop and then update my laptop-what a pain.  I think Apple does this on purpose because they want you to buy a MAC.

3.6K Posts

March 9th, 2011 13:00

Yea, if the Ricoh driver was never installed then the USB hubs will not identify any device attatched.But then again if the USB hubs were working before hand and it all started with the install of the itune app. then there is a problem with the app. itself not being identified.

No Events found!