Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 26th, 2011 20:00

Upgrade Inspiron 1300 Hard Drive

I recently upgraded my hard drive in my laptop (inspiron 1300) from the 80 GB it came with to a 320 GB Western Digital.

I used Acronis True Image to clone my old drive to a USB connected drive, and then to clone the USB drive back to my new drive.  I wasn't able to load Windows upon start up, I got the message "Loading PBR for descriptor 3...done.", and wasn't able to do anything from there.  I can see the three partitions were properly created by booting Acronis from the CD, however it appears that one of the utility partitions is the C drive and my C drive is the D drive.  Has anybody come across this, and how did you fix it?

In the meantime, I have done two things.  I ordered a rescue CD today from Dell (my laptop didn't come with one.  I also borrowed a Windows XP CD from a friend and started from scratch.  Of course I have to activate XP, so a) does the rescue CD come with a registration key? or b) am I able to obtain the key from my old drive somehow?  I took a print screen on the code prior to removing the old drive, however XP says it isn't valid.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 27th, 2011 05:00

If you use a drive larger than 120G in this system, you must install XP to a partition below that limit - you CANNOT install XP to a 320G partition, because the BIOS doesn't support that size drive.

If you use a Dell OEM CD, you will not need a license key (or if you must use one, it's on a sticker at the bottom of the system).

8 Posts

March 27th, 2011 12:00

So, I was able to figure out the cloning part.  I had to set only one of the partitions as primary.  (When I did it the first time, I think I had two primary partitions).  I was not, however, able to boot from the recovery partition, only the diagnostics worked.

The Bios seems to recognize the entire size of the drive, so I must have updated it sometime.

As for the license key, I had the thing upside down a few times (replacing the drive), and never noticed it.  Thanks for the answer.

No Events found!