Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 14th, 2015 11:00

Upgrade Inspiron 1520 from Vista to Win 7 or not

I really like the large display and keyboard on my 2007 Inspiron laptop (running Vista) but it's terribly slow and some new applications won't work well on it, if at all. So I'm considering upgrading it to Win 7, doubling RAM to 4 GB and switching out the hard drive for a solid state replacement. I think that will cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $300. So is it worth it or would I be better off biting the bullet and springing for a new large laptop.  I almost went for the upgrade route when some of the posts I read alerted me to potential problems with getting Win 7 drivers to run on old hardware and I didn't want to go to the effort and expense and find that it was wasted. If someone out there has experience doing this I would very much appreciate learning about it. Thanks in advance. Fred

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 14th, 2015 11:00

You're better off putting the upgrade funds toward a newer system -- this one is too old at this point, certainly too old to justify a $300 upgrade (it's probably worth well under half that on the resale market at this point).

No Events found!