Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

August 22nd, 2005 16:00

Upgrade RAM on Inspiron 8600

Hello,

I recently purchased a 1GB Memory Card for my Inspiron 8600.  I already have two 512MB Memory Cards installed.  Is it possible to replace one of the 512MB cards with the 1GB card while retaining the other 512MB card?

When I installed the 1GB Memory Card before while leaving a 512MB Memory Card installed the machine itself would not power-on.  I switched the slots the memory cards were installed in but the same power-on problem persisted.

I put in the original 512MB Memory Cards powered-on the machine and upgraded the BIOS to A14.  I then shut-down the machine, re-installed the 1GB Memory Card (with a 512MB card still installed) and the power-on problem still persisted.

Please advise.

Thank you!!

11.9K Posts

August 22nd, 2005 17:00

@mcdc01 wrote:
Hello,

I recently purchased a 1GB Memory Card for my Inspiron 8600.  I already have two 512MB Memory Cards installed.  Is it possible to replace one of the 512MB cards with the 1GB card while retaining the other 512MB card?

When I installed the 1GB Memory Card before while leaving a 512MB Memory Card installed the machine itself would not power-on.  I switched the slots the memory cards were installed in but the same power-on problem persisted.

I put in the original 512MB Memory Cards powered-on the machine and upgraded the BIOS to A14.  I then shut-down the machine, re-installed the 1GB Memory Card (with a 512MB card still installed) and the power-on problem still persisted.

Please advise.

Thank you!!

You bought incompatible memory.

3 Posts

August 22nd, 2005 17:00

Thank you for your reply Rick.  So does that mean I need to purchase another 1GB Memory Card to install into my machine with the other 1GB Memory Card I have purchased?

Thanks!

3 Posts

August 22nd, 2005 18:00

Hello Rick,

I puchased the 1 GB Module for a Dell Inspiron 8600 Series System (Item # A0156779) from the Dell Website at full cost.  I don't understand how your last reply applies to this situation. 

Thanks!

11.9K Posts

August 22nd, 2005 18:00

@mcdc01 wrote:

Thank you for your reply Rick.  So does that mean I need to purchase another 1GB Memory Card to install into my machine with the other 1GB Memory Card I have purchased?

Thanks!

No, it means you bought cheap memory that isn't specified for your Dell and doesn't work, so you should return it.
No Events found!