Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 1st, 2014 23:00

Upgrading Windows 8 to 8.1 in 32GB SSD Drive

Hi, I have 32gb SSD plus 500 GB Harddisk (XPS 14) with with OS in the former. I want to upgrade Win8 to 8.1. But it appears that the space is not enough in the SSD drive. Can you please recommend the solution as how I can manage the Windows upgradation in 32 GB SSD drive?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 2nd, 2014 07:00

Windows 8 should not be installed on the 32GB drive.  That should only be used as a "cache" to help speed up the computer.  It is not big enough to maintain a full Windows installation.  Did you reinstall Windows to it, or did Windows come installed on the SSD from Dell (it should not have)?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 2nd, 2014 08:00

Hopefully you made a recovery disc set or flash drive when you received the system - you can restore it to the way it was when it shipped, and then do the 8.1 upgrade.

You will not be able to run WIndows 8 for very long in 32 G -- the other option would be to purchase a larger capacity mSATA SSD.  You'll need at least 128G - better, 256, for running Windows from the SSD in the long term.

5 Posts

February 2nd, 2014 08:00

No I did not came from Dell. But to boost the system speed I did it myself. What choices do I have to go for 8.1?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 2nd, 2014 09:00

You could get a larger mSATA SSD.  60GB is a little small, but manageable, if you know what to do.  80GB is comfortable, as long as you are storing pictures, videos, and any other "large" files on the HDD.  100GB or larger would be best (again, keeping all "large" files on the HDD).

You could install Windows to the HDD, install the software to utilize the SSD as a cache drive (as intended), but I've never cared for that configuration.

5 Posts

February 2nd, 2014 12:00

Win 8.1 does the magic. I had 3.7GB free space and I opted to go for the installation... With 8.1 I have 11GB free space!! :-)) But still many thanks for your precious input! :)

No Events found!