Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 28th, 2017 19:00

User forgot password

Someone deleted all user account on dads computer then said forgot password I was attempting to use a password reset software but can't get it to boot from USB.  I went into F12 but there is no option to boot from USB.

9.4K Posts

November 29th, 2017 04:00

Hil88,

Thanks for posting.

Here is some information from the Microsoft Forums you may find helpful.

2 Posts

December 14th, 2017 05:00

Hello Robert. I have tried this and because she deleted all account except her login and now does not remember password everything I try wants the password.  I tried to do all the recovery options given when I hold the shift down and restart.   I have a password bypass USB but when go in to set to boot from this I am not given an option of what to boot from.   I would use recovery disk but don't have one as they stoppped sending them with computers.  I don't think I have ever had this much trouble trying to redo a computer.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 14th, 2017 07:00

Press F2 to go into the BIOS setup and make sure Boot from USB is even enabled.  If it is and you still don't see the option, what model system is this?  If this system boots in UEFI mode but your bootable flash drive is only set up to support Legacy BIOS mode booting, then your flash drive wouldn't be identified as containing a bootable environment.  In that case, you can switch your system to boot in Legacy mode via a BIOS settings change, but the next potential pitfall is that your presumably Linux-based environment may not support your system's hardware and/or the GPT disk layout that your system's hard drive would use for UEFI booting.  I ran into this recently.

Another option you can try if this is a Windows 10 machine (you should really include more info in your initial post....) would be a hack that solely involves Windows.  You may need to download Windows 10 media, but you can do that directly from Microsoft by googling "Download Windows 10 ISO".  Build a bootable USB flash drive using their media, which should boot without any of the above configuration I just mentioned, and then follow these instructions: 4sysops.com/.../

No Events found!