Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

2 Posts

February 24th, 2006 18:00

Using Ghost 2003 Boot Disk

I need to image an Inspiron 8000 Hard Drive. I am trying to use a Ghost Boot Disk. So far it refuses to recognize the PCMCIA NIC for a network transfer; and loads the USB controller but does not recognize the external USB Hard Drive when I try to do it that way. The Norton site has a lot of information about what it can't do. Does anyone have information about what and how it CAN do?

109 Posts

February 24th, 2006 23:00

clydeoo:

1) Make sure you include USB 2.0 support when you create your Ghost boot disk.
2) Make sure your external HD is plugged in when you boot using the Ghost boot disk.
3) When the system boots with the Ghost boot disk inserted, do you see that it recognizes your USB chipset (it should not hang or should indicate that it boots without problems)?

Unfortunately, the Ghost 2003 mass-storage ASPI managers for USB 1.1, USB 2.0 and 1394 were designed and developed for desktop chip-sets only (It wasn't even in the contract between Iomega Corporation and Symantec to develop for laptop chipsets at the time). Having it run on laptops will most likely be hit-and-miss.

Also, since these ASPI managers were written in 2002, I've noticed that some newer desktops seem to be beginning to have some issues also.

The only thing I know what can be done is to either upgrade to the latest Ghost version or invest in some other imaging software package (i.e. Acronis True Image).

-Mike

Message Edited by Simmerheli on 02-24-2006 06:17 PM

Message Edited by Simmerheli on 02-24-2006 06:23 PM

2 Posts

February 25th, 2006 00:00

@Simmerheli wrote:
clydeoo:
1) Make sure you include USB 2.0 support when you create your Ghost boot disk.
2) Make sure your external HD is plugged in when you boot using the Ghost boot disk.
3) When the system boots with the Ghost boot disk inserted, do you see that it recognizes your USB chipset (it should not hang or should indicate that it boots without problems)?
Unfortunately, the Ghost 2003 mass-storage ASPI managers for USB 1.1, USB 2.0 and 1394 were designed and developed for desktop chip-sets only (It wasn't even in the contract between Iomega Corporation and Symantec to develop for laptop chipsets at the time). Having it run on laptops will most likely be hit-and-miss.
Also, since these ASPI managers were written in 2002, I've noticed that some newer desktops seem to be beginning to have some issues also.
The only thing I know what can be done is to either upgrade to the latest Ghost version or invest in some other imaging software package (i.e. Acronis True Image).
-Mike

Message Edited by Simmerheli on 02-24-2006 06:17 PM

Message Edited by Simmerheli on 02-24-2006 06:23 PM

Yes it recognized the USB Chipset but it doesn't recognize the "Iomega" external hard drive which was running during bootup. I tried USB 1.1 and 2. Nothing works. Thanks.
No Events found!