Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 21st, 2016 07:00

Using NVIDIA GPU for HDMI output - XPS15 9550

Hey everyone,

Unfortunately, the port on the 9550 is HDMI 1.4 (max resolution of 1920x1080 for external monitors). I recently purchased a Thunderbolt to HDMI 2.0 adapter in an attempt to get around this, but I have not been able to figure out how to get any higher resolution so far. According to the NVIDIA control panel, outputs to both the screen and the HDMI port are being handled by the integrated graphics, which I suspect might be part of the problem. Still no luck after changing the default GPU in the global settings to the NVIDIA processor.

Has anybody had any luck getting their HDMI output set to run from the NVIDIA GPU?

Note: This is the model with the FHD screen (1920x1080 native resolution).

380 Posts

November 21st, 2016 21:00

The Intel 530 graphics chip on the 9550 can handle higher resolutions. Did you try the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel? Right-click an empty area of the desktop and select "Graphics Properties" > "Display" and see if you can change the resolution on your external display.

HDMI 1.4 can handle higher resolutions but at a lower refresh rate.

I played with the NVIDIA settings but it appears that it will only work on a program level basis and not for all programs. I  assigned the NVIDIA card for a few programs, but for some it was ignored and still used the Intel chip.

JohnD

November 23rd, 2016 00:00

Greetings,

Thank you for writing to us.

Please confirm if the external display support 1920*1080. Open Nvidia control panel and change the resolution on the displays.
Update all the drivers including Intel Thunderbolt3 Firmware Update and controller driver.
Check if issue persists while connecting HDMI-HDMI cable.

No Events found!