Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 6th, 2014 12:00

Very regular Blue Screen errors on Inspiron 7537

Hello,

My new computer is experiencing unexpected Blue Screen shutdowns very often (almost daily the past few weeks), which neither the built-in My Dell-tool or any of the online diagnostics tools seem to be able to solve. The error message displayed after each shutdown is driver_power_state_failure, and the Dell tool on my computer explains that "The PCI Express Root Complex driver (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\pci.sys) appears to have caused a system crash.

What may be a related problem, is that whenever the computer has been sleeping for a longer period of time (I don't know quite how long), it displays some odd behaviour. The most telling part is that my keyboard backlight is turned on, and none of the function keys (such as the switch for the light) work. When I then right-click on the battery symbol and click Windows Mobility Center, the lower half (Where it says Customized by Dell) does not appear at first, but then loads after a second or so. This somehow makes the computer recognize the function keys again, but I suspect there is something more complex at play.

I hope there is some solution to this problem.

4 Posts

October 6th, 2014 15:00

There is never an error code on the blue screen itself (or at least I haven't managed to see it), but according to the Checkup tool, the bug check code is 0x0000009F. I assume that is what you are looking for?

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

October 6th, 2014 14:00

What is the error code shown on the blue screen?

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

October 6th, 2014 18:00

Did you not see the error code because the computer reboots too fast. If so, go to the BIOS and set for NOT rebooting after an error. Have you searched the web for the 9f error. There are several different causes.

4 Posts

October 7th, 2014 04:00

There's usually enough time for me to see whatever the screen displays, I just haven't noticed any text apart from the obligatory "Your computer has suffered..." and the driver_power_state_failure message.

I have been looking online, but most of the sites I find have a very varying degree of relevance. Something like this: http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/52973-bsod-driver_power_state_failure-when-unpluging-laptop.html seems very similar to my issue, especially since the checkup tool also mentions the Nvidia driver (nvlddmkm). Going on the driver page for my computer, the latest release of the video card driver is from February, while I'm sure I have a much newer driver. Should I reinstall the old one then?

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

October 7th, 2014 12:00

Use the latest Nvidia driver from the Nvidia site. Don't use the Dell driver, they are very out of date. Also don't allow Windows Update install a video driver.

No Events found!