Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 21st, 2016 08:00

Video Transition from Lid Open to Closed on Dock

Hello Community,

I have a Precision 7710 connected to a Docking station with Two External Displays and most of the time I keep the lid closed on my laptop, However when I want to do a Video Chat on Skype/ Zoom Etc I open the lid which automatically brings up the video and works fine. However when I close the lid I need for it to transition back to using just the external displays? Any suggestions how this could be configured, Hardware profiles or what? Thanks in advance for you knowledge and help!!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 23rd, 2016 08:00

Before you close the lid, press Fn + F8 to change the Display Mode back to extended to the external monitors Then close the lid.

December 23rd, 2016 08:00

Nope it still puts the laptop to sleep and I have to press the power button on the dock to get it to bring me back to the login screen which is not a real pain but if I don't have to do that I would rather not.

Any further suggestions?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 24th, 2016 12:00

I do not know. Will keep searching.

January 31st, 2017 16:00

You need to configure your settings within Windows so the machine does not sleep during the closure of the lid when on power.

Right click the battery icon in the tray, click Power Options. On the left side of the screen click on "Choose what closing the lid does" and change the dropdown to "Do Nothing" for the "On power" option for "When I close the lid"

This can also be found in Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\System Settings

No Events found!